Texas Hunting Forum

Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde?

Posted By: EcKo sHoT

Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde? - 11/08/15 03:17 AM

How much is the going rate with a hunting lease in Val Verde per acre? I am looking at one with around 1200 acres. Anyone have a idea?

Re: Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde? - 11/08/15 01:24 PM

Nobody?
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde? - 11/08/15 02:14 PM

$4-$5/acre. If there is good year-round water and some cover other than cedar/juniper it will be higher. If suffering from recent fires in the past 5 years, or one of the many anthrax kills, it will be much less.

Re: Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde? - 11/08/15 09:32 PM

any places to stay away from in Val Verde ?
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde? - 11/08/15 09:50 PM

Val Verde county is HUGE. Lots of varied areas, ranging from very good to very, very bad. Problem is that some of great areas look like some of the very bad areas. Generally, even in the good areas - you need a LOT of land to have good hunting because the deer density is so low. A 1000-1500 acres per person is not unheard of. Don't think you can get 200-300 acres per person and get decent hunting.

As I said, the county is big and varied - but deer density of 8-12 deer per thousand acres is pretty common. When you figure that includes all ages and sexes, you'll see what you're up against.

However, some areas have a lot - a whole lot - more deer.

I have learned that the three biggest lies I've heard down there are (and it's surprising how often you hear them):

(1) We saw over a hundred deer driving in the other night.
(2) There's no record of anthrax on the ranch
(3) Don't worry about not seeing deer. When it gets colder/rains/season starts, they'll come out of the woodwork.
Posted By: coa2222

Re: Price per acre to lease land in Val Verde? - 11/13/15 07:54 PM

as John said, you can find places that have very high density, but from my experience they are usually in the northern part of the county, and typically on very carefully managed properties.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum