Texas Hunting Forum

winkel ranch

Posted By: clyde48

winkel ranch - 10/25/15 01:36 PM

Ive heard folks on here bad mouth the Winkel ranch, My family and others have hunted the Winkel Ranch for the last few years and have always taken nice Bucks and Doe"s from Judy's place, its not high fenced or fancy feeders you actually have to do some hunting, and no guide is gonna tell you to take your pick of 12 pointers and shoot. I love this place and prices cant be beat
Posted By: clyde48

Re: winkel ranch - 10/25/15 01:38 PM

my wifes Buck from Winkel Ranch, Judy is a nice lady and runs a good place
Posted By: rickym

Re: winkel ranch - 10/25/15 02:00 PM

Congrats! I've never checked the place out, may have to now up
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: winkel ranch - 10/25/15 09:13 PM

As long as you are happy no worries, looks like have had some good hunts!!!!
Posted By: tlk

Re: winkel ranch - 10/25/15 10:22 PM

don't doubt you but this is your first post here - lets hear from some of the folks who did not have a good experience and then compare notes. I am not familiar with the place so I have no dog in the hunt but just curious what the issues were previously
Posted By: Curbow

Re: winkel ranch - 10/25/15 10:34 PM

So does it have openings, details?
Posted By: cameron00

Re: winkel ranch - 10/26/15 12:46 AM

I'd go read the other reviews on the place before putting much stock in a first post that obviously is directional.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: winkel ranch - 10/26/15 07:10 PM

Judy is a nice lady! It is a nice piece property, the Llano river is the back border. Would i go back, No, hunted it opening weekend of bow season with a group of my buddies a few years back, 9 or 10 hunters in all, mind you we are all seasoned bow hunters and know what to look for, and how to place stands, if my memory serves me correctly, we saw a total of 3 deer, i did kill a hog, there was very little deer sign on the entire ranch, the last afternoon of the hunt, myself and several of my buddies sat in the river and drank Crown & Coke till damn near dark! cheers May be a different places now, but not sure i'd take the chance on going back. She still sends me a flyer in the mail every year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: winkel ranch - 10/26/15 07:45 PM

Interesting first post about a ranch in the county with the most deer in Texas. welcome Hope you stick around and continue with us on THF.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: winkel ranch - 10/27/15 12:19 AM

What part 0f Llano county is the ranch located?
Posted By: wtr

Re: winkel ranch - 10/27/15 02:10 AM

confused2

Re: winkel ranch - 10/27/15 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
What part 0f Llano county is the ranch located?

10 miles west of Llano.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: winkel ranch - 10/27/15 10:06 PM

Should be a lot of deer unless there have been too many day hunters over the years. Do they lease certain parts of the ranch or is it just day lease?

Re: winkel ranch - 10/27/15 10:12 PM

Google the name and website will show up. 3700 acres of land according to website.
Posted By: Kory

Re: winkel ranch - 10/29/15 02:27 AM

I have hunted the winkle ranch. I shot my very first deer there when I was 11. I'm 31 now. Having said that, I would not hunt it again. We went in the middle of the season and there were dead deer everywhere. Both cleaned deer and deer that were shot and left laying. The ranch is hunted every single weekend with each hunter allowed two does and a buck. We saw two deer the whole time we were there and we jumped them up walking back to camp and I shot one. And yes from what I remember the lady that ran the place is a very nice lady.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum