Texas Hunting Forum

Concho County Lease

Posted By: txshntr

Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 04:17 AM

We had a couple of late openings on our place in Concho County. This lease is typically filled with friends or family and rarely advertised. As of right now, there is only one opening.

We lease 6500 acres off a 10k acre ranch and control the neighboring 1k acres. The remaining 3500 acres is not hunted. There is about 1k acres of agriculture that splits the lease property from the other side. Majority of the land is rolling hills, mesquite and flats.

There are 20 hunters and the cost is around $2,300 and includes the cost of water and electricity for the camp.

There are camper connections available. We have a concrete pad under an A-frame with two winches, a walk-in cooler, fire pit, electricity and water and some other amenities.

This lease is a family oriented lease. It is not a highly managed place, but we do try to kill mature deer and we use a point system to try to ensure that the older deer are taken. 8 pointers must score 120", 9 pointers 125 and 10 pointers 130.

Kids, family and guest are welcome. They have to hunt with a paying member. Kids and guest can shoot does, spikes and culls and it does not count toward the paying members allotment. If they kill a deer that doesn't meet the description of a cull or kill a "trophy", the deer counts as the paying members trophy for the year.

During rifle season, it is an open stand policy. You have first right to your stands at all times. If you are not there, anyone is allowed to hunt your stand. No locks are allowed to be put on the stands. Bow hunting other peoples areas is by permission only. To hunt a stand, you must have a stand. To hunt a feeder, you must have a working feeder.

The lease is a year around lease. All game animals are included, except quail hunting. The quail rights are leased out to another group and they will not have access until the regular season has ended. During the extended doe season, you might run into some quail hunters. They have first right on the property after the regular season.

I have been on this place for around 20 years. There are a couple of families that have been on it almost 30 years.

You should expect to see plenty of deer. Mature deer will be anywhere from 120-140". There are some exotics. The only exotic that is off limits is the blackbuck.

This will not be leased on a first come first serve basis. We are looking for people that will fit in with the group and understand what they are getting into. We don't tolerate drama, we are simply reasonable folks that enjoy the outdoors and like to hunt.

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 04:18 AM

Few deer that have been taken off the place

Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 12:24 PM

Man, I sure wish I could swing this. Not sure I'd make the it through the interview process though, lol..

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Man, I sure wish I could swing this. Not sure I'd make the it through the interview process though, lol..

rofl You know how mean I am.

You like to hunt...
Kids and wives bother you...
You complain a lot...

I am out of interview questions scratch

Wish you could swing it too bud. cheers
Posted By: CGB

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 12:54 PM

Yeah, He's probably going to get about 5 or 6 guys out there that all want on the lease and then tell them " The first 2 guys that crawl under this old house and come out with a rattlesnake get the spots." Lol.
Great Lease here! Won't have any problems filling it.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 01:39 PM

PM sent

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 05:11 PM

Lease currently only has one opening.

Originally Posted By: CGB
Yeah, He's probably going to get about 5 or 6 guys out there that all want on the lease and then tell them " The first 2 guys that crawl under this old house and come out with a rattlesnake get the spots." Lol.
Great Lease here! Won't have any problems filling it.

That would make an interesting interview process rofl
Posted By: Western

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 05:31 PM

Wish I had the free cash laying around David, I'd fill out the app. Haven't been on a lease in a Loooong time and miss turkey hunting probably the most, deer meat doesn't hurt either.

Good luck finding a good "candidate", that's the reason I quit leasing a place honestly. When we had land, I leased some of it for hunting, that lasted 3 weeks into the season, would never do it again.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 07:06 PM

Sounds like a great place I like the way your rules are setup.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/14/15 08:24 PM

Sure wish this had been available a few months back.. Love that area and yall always post pics of good deer and good times.. Great set up and should fill fast..
Crossing my fingers you have an opening or two next year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/15/15 12:11 PM

I would take a spot but have a rule of not hunting with anyone under 5'9" tall bolt
Posted By: Western

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/15/15 01:39 PM

Not like your going on a date STX peep Do you have a problem giving TREX a lift every time he wants on the atv? roflmao

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/15/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would take a spot but have a rule of not hunting with anyone under 5'9" tall bolt

I will remember that for our next hunting trip...stx is out!!!
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/16/15 12:06 AM

Do I pass the first test? I'm only 5'6" tall,Ha.
Posted By: SWtexashunter

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/16/15 04:41 AM

Is it still available
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/16/15 05:18 AM

Y'alls rules are pretty much identical to ours... Man it's nice! Good luck, if someone hasn't already jumped on this.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/16/15 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would take a spot but have a rule of not hunting with anyone under 5'9" 5' tall bolt

I will remember that for our next hunting trip...stx is out!!!

grin

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/16/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Booner1
Do I pass the first test? I'm only 5'6" tall,Ha.

rofl Definitely gives you an advantage

Originally Posted By: SWtexashunter
Is it still available

Waiting on one more response, he wanted until Monday to give me an answer. If it falls through, the lease will still be available.
Posted By: elliscountyhog

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/16/15 11:58 PM

Yall have axis? Decent population? Sounds like a great lease.

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: elliscountyhog
Yall have axis? Decent population? Sounds like a great lease.

Actually very few. They are all around us but we have never had a hunter kill one. Seen a few and found two dead.

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 03:34 PM

Lease is still available.
Posted By: texjam

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 03:41 PM

How far are you from Eden?

Interested. when is next showing?

Pm's sent
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 05:15 PM

Good deer on that place surprised it's still open good luck.
Posted By: buck_hunter

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 05:41 PM

Man if I wasn't on my lease in Ozona, I would be all over this. Use to hunt between Millersview and PaintRock on Mr. Hadley's place. Loved hunting that area. Some good deer out there.

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: buck_hunter
Man if I wasn't on my lease in Ozona, I would be all over this. Use to hunt between Millersview and PaintRock on Mr. Hadley's place. Loved hunting that area. Some good deer out there.

His place is right across the dirt road from us up
Posted By: buck_hunter

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 07:30 PM

Txshntr that is a great area. Hunted Hadley's place back in 2010. Let some good deer walk. The dove hunting was awesome. The picture in my sig is a pic of my daughter with her 1st deer she shot on the place. A doe. Wish I never left. should have no problem filling the spot. Fellas this is a great area to hunt....

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 07:47 PM

Thanks buck_hunter. I saw Mr. Hadley at Lowake's last Saturday, good people cheers

Looks like the lease has been filled pending funds being delivered. Thank you all for the interest and if it falls through, I will start making calls to those that I have received a PM from.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/17/15 08:03 PM

Sounds like a great lease with good people. Pics of deer very nice.... your one opening should be filled soon.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Concho County Lease - 08/19/15 01:28 AM

Awesome pictures my friend and some very good deer in that country. I use to hunt on the Mertz Ranch for a few years great deer just to many sheep for me!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum