Texas Hunting Forum

2nd time leasing..how does this sound

Posted By: magspa

2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 03:42 PM

Year-round access, Western Willacy county. North of 186, bordering wildlife refuge. 200 acres 6 guns. One cull buck (8pt inside ears 4.5y/o or older. multiple does, Nilgai, hogs, javelina, predators. plus trophy buck fee of $500 with bow or $1000 with rifle. Owner said i can also quail hunt after deer season. There is a camp house, blinds, and feeders. The owner provides corn and protein all year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 03:52 PM

6 guns on 200 acres? Way to many for me.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 03:58 PM

I would red flag that one.
Posted By: javman

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 04:42 PM

You know the old saying. If it sounds to good to be true. Just need to be careful around that area as most of the properties around the 2 refuges in that area are farm land and a lot of folks poach around there.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 05:09 PM

1 hunter per 50 acres. What could go wrong? Maybe they can all bring friends also, thataway they can make sure & shoot up everything that moves, & maybe each other.

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 05:31 PM

Saw plenty of game when out there driving around. Deer, turkeys, javelina, and quail. All blinds are elevated except for one which is the owners because he is limited to a wheelchair. there is a lot of work to be done around camp, that would be a requirement also.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
1 hunter per 50 acres. What could go wrong? Maybe they can all bring friends also, thataway they can make sure & shoot up everything that moves, & maybe each other.

Better recheck your math... 1 hunter per 33 acres then throw in the owner that would be 1 hunter per 25 acres now. You would have to have a very high deer density for everyone to kill a buck. That would be 7 bucks( at just 1 per hunter) total off of 200 acres. If you have a buck to doe ratio of 1 to 3 that would mean a deer for every 7.5 acres. If you figure 2 bucks per hunter then you would need a deer to 3.75 acres.
My first question would be was it leased last year? If so, then what happened to all the other hunters from last year? I would also ask if he allows his family to hunt?

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 05:53 PM

the owner is one of the six. 4/5 are there from last year and have been for a while. One guy moved to Florida, which would be the spot i would take.
Posted By: rickym

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/02/15 06:09 PM

Talk to the other members and ask how their experience has been on the property. What have/do they see and what have they killed on a yearly basis. You'll get a good idea whether or not it's worth it.
Posted By: CGB

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 01:02 AM

What is the price? I saw trophy fees but no base price.

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 02:44 AM

$1500
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 04:30 AM

So, basically, the owner is getting $37.50 an acre plus trophy fees, and he still gets to hunt? Let's say, just for fun, that three trophy bucks are killed with a rifle, and one with a bow. That brings his yearly total to $11,000, or $55 an acre, and he can still hunt his property as much as he wants. That is an absolutely killer deal for the landowner, but those guys are getting fleeced IMO.
Posted By: bp3

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 11:23 AM

Crowded and way to much money rifle

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 12:19 PM

thanks for the input. I think im going to do it though. Just so i have a place to go all year and it is only 40mins from my house. Plus the opportunity to harvest a bull nilgai that would run at least $2500.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: magspa
thanks for the input. I think im going to do it though. Just so i have a place to go all year and it is only 40mins from my house. Plus the opportunity to harvest a bull nilgai that would run at least $2500.

Do what feels right to you is what I say! Check with the current hunters and try and get an objective evaluation of the property and experience; you'll then have your answer.
Posted By: bermise

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 12:43 PM

It may be better than no lease but I think you will have regrets at the end of the season. I've had my share of bad leases in the past & there are several red flags with this lease, management practice & the landowner.
Posted By: tlk

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bermise
It may be better than no lease but I think you will have regrets at the end of the season. I've had my share of bad leases in the past & there are several red flags with this lease, management practice & the landowner.

Agree - I get having a chance at a place to hunt but getting the wrong place to hunt is no fun. That is very crowded - hope it works out for you but I wouldn't put my money on it. Have seen too many similar setups that crash and burn
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/03/15 06:30 PM

bolt
Posted By: CGB

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/04/15 03:04 AM

Sounds pretty good to me. A place to stay. Blinds and feeders already set up. Half of the $1500 you pay for the place is probably going to go to protein, corn and electricity. 6 guns on 200 acres can be done with a good group. Close to home. A chance at a Nilgai. If it's no good you can move on with very minimal money or time spent setting up. Over the years I've been on some really good leases and some really bad ones and I had fun on all of them.
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/04/15 04:12 PM

Great lease for the landowner but terrible for the lessors. Caviot emptor.
Posted By: BAYSPORT

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/05/15 12:59 AM

Over priced. Keep looking leases will start to show up as season gets near
Posted By: hogreaper

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/08/15 09:22 PM

Is it by the wildlife refuge? I had gone couple years ago to look at one with the same description but things sounded fishy especially when the lo said he didn't start feeding till mid September for the bowhunters to start drawing in deer seems it will be very crowded if everyine decides to go opening day

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/08/15 11:56 PM

yes it is neat the refuge. Actually have to go through federal gate to get to the property. Borders refuge.
Posted By: sasqy 1302

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/15/15 01:05 AM

What is up with the people these days 200 acres is not worth more than 2,000$ total that's 10$ per acre anyone trying to get more is just a joke and all the desperate people that keep paying silly prices are the reason lease fees keep going up. If everyone will just stand up for themselves maybe we will quit being taken advantage of. PS good luck getting a Nilgai these people are always full of shi@
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/17/15 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: sasqy 1302
What is up with the people these days 200 acres is not worth more than 2,000$ total that's 10$ per acre anyone trying to get more is just a joke and all the desperate people that keep paying silly prices are the reason lease fees keep going up. If everyone will just stand up for themselves maybe we will quit being taken advantage of. PS good luck getting a Nilgai these people are always full of shi@

Its obviously not a joke to the landowner or the others willing to pay the asking price to hunt it! I Have a little less than half that acreage and I wouldn't take less than $35 dollars an acre for someone to hunt on it! Course I'd probably never even consider leasing it to someone as I could never get what its worth to me. Sounds to me like this land is down in central texas. Have you ever priced land down in that area???? For grins do a quick research of market prices on land in Gillespie,Kerr,Mason,or Mernard counties! Acreage in Kerr and Gillespie goes for around 10k per acre and many time more than that. You think if I guy spent 1-3 million on a couple hundred acres he's going to lease it out for 10 dollars an acre? Lease fees keep going up because of supply and demand and its as simple as that! They are making lots more people but are not making any more land.
Posted By: sasqy 1302

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/17/15 08:29 PM

Not trying to get into a pissing contest just speaking from personal experience .
We have never paid more than 10$ per acre for a deer lease, and have been on some pretty decent ranches over the years. The whole reason for price increase is due to the oilfield companies that can pay rediculous prices for a property and write it off on their taxes as customer appreciation/entertainment . I have always been able to find a decent place for a decent price. Dont get in a rush good things come to those who wait .

There will be many leases opening in the next few weeks keep your eyes open and your fingers walking
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/17/15 11:42 PM

Hunt it every day before and after season. Maybe you'll get a nilgai and it will then be a good deal. You won't see many deer, if any, after opening day.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/18/15 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: blazin
Originally Posted By: sasqy 1302

Its obviously not a joke to the landowner or the others willing to pay the asking price to hunt it! I Have a little less than half that acreage and I wouldn't take less than $35 dollars an acre for someone to hunt on it! Course I'd probably never even consider leasing it to someone as I could never get what its worth to me. Sounds to me like this land is down in central texas. Have you ever priced land down in that area???? For grins do a quick research of market prices on land in Gillespie,Kerr,Mason,or Mernard counties! Acreage in Kerr and Gillespie goes for around 10k per acre and many time more than that. You think if I guy spent 1-3 million on a couple hundred acres he's going to lease it out for 10 dollars an acre? Lease fees keep going up because of supply and demand and its as simple as that! They are making lots more people but are not making any more land.

Its actually south texas where lease prices are double hill country prices and smaller places always go for higher per acre, with that being said it sounds overpriced and a little shady but best of luck, fyi ive seen a bunch of good sounding leases on here popping up with a spot or 2.
Posted By: Cast

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/18/15 04:56 PM

I wouldn't. Let us know as this progresses. Good luck. I hope you get your trophy.

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/18/15 11:24 PM

Well im gonna do it..dont have too many options this close to home with the variety of game. Plus the price inculdes corn and protein year-round.i moved here 5 years ago so im still not too familiar with specific areas but some local guys i know say its great. Good chance for a buck up to 150" plus nilgai. It literally borders a large refuge..actually we share a gate with them. Hopefully ill get up there ttis weekend to do some good scouting.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: 2nd time leasing..how does this sound - 08/23/15 04:41 AM

Also it depends on how much pressure the members put on it. For about 15 years, I was on a 300 ac lease with 5 total guns. It worked because there were only 2 members who did much hunting. The land owner let his son take it over, and we lost it. Please keep us posted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum