Texas Hunting Forum

Just secured new lease north of Llano

Posted By: birdman99

Just secured new lease north of Llano - 06/17/15 12:29 AM

I just secured a lease 7 miles north of downtown Llano (stop light). 500 acres with minimal frontage road. Anyone have experience with the area? It was hunted in previous years and a few bucks taken.

Thanks, Brian
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Just secured new lease north of Llano - 06/17/15 07:35 PM

Good potential in that area, depends on previous and surrounding hunting pressure. I am sure it is plenty green right now with all the rains. You should see plenty of deer.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Just secured new lease north of Llano - 06/19/15 12:40 AM

I eat at Coopers everytime im in Llano, Lots of deer and turkey.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Just secured new lease north of Llano - 06/22/15 01:46 PM

been a long time back (20+ years) but we hunted at the base of Baby Head just a couple miles farther north. Back then, very little game management was being done and our place was over run with does. Again, that's been a while back but it was definitely what I would consider a meat lease. There was an occasional decent buck spotted and taken with more frequent younger bucks. We never scored deer back then but a guess would be a large deer back then might be in the 110-115 range. I suspect there has been a pretty good swing in mind set of hunters to leave the younger ones alone for a few years and thinning of does.

I have a friend that currently hunts same approximate area as you are talking, maybe a little closer back towards Llano, west side of 16. They have been doing year around feeding with 3 large protein feeders spaced around about 1,000 acre ranch. They have been doing pretty good game management the past 5-6 years and are starting to get some pretty good hill country deer. I suspect 130-140 range based on pictures I have seen. They culled a lot of does the first couple of years to get the ratios down.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum