Texas Hunting Forum

Kansas Lease

Posted By: txshntr

Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 12:50 AM

Had a few people back out and looking for one person to fill the last spot on our Kansas place. The land is approximately 260 acres and is about 40 miles East of Wichita. Lease is for bowhunting only and 2 people max on the property. Price is $1750 per person.

I have never actually hunted this land, but Ramsey on this forum has hunted it the last couple of years and thewrap will be the other person on this property. My place is about 1 1/2 miles East of the property and I have another lease to the south. This lease will only be for the one property.

There is no camping or lodging onsite. We typically stay at a hotel in El Dorado (about 20 miles away) or at the El Dorado State Park in the cabins.

Here is a picture of the property and some pictures from past years. I don't have any of the trail cam pics from last year, but can get some if you need them.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 01:26 AM

How many hours drive from the mess?

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
How many hours drive from the mess?

Probably around 5 1/2-6.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 01:55 PM

How hard is it to draw a tag? What county is it in?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Booner1

Draw deadline was April 24th. Depends on the WMU you are putting and what species but some are easier than others for non-res. Some have over the counter tags leftover and others have no over the counter tags.
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Applications-and-Fees/Deer/Quotas-and-Draw-Stats
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 02:17 PM

Man, there were a lot of leftover tags for N/R in some areas. Almost 3,000 total. thanks for the info.

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Draw deadline was April 24th. Depends on the WMU you are putting and what species but some are easier than others for non-res. Some have over the counter tags leftover and others have no over the counter tags.
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Applications-and-Fees/Deer/Quotas-and-Draw-Stats

Very true, but not as hard to get a permit as you think. Our unit typically has extra. According to one of the ladies at Kansas DWPT, if your unit sales out, you can purchase one of the neighboring units and list yours as the secondary.

I didn't get mine this year...thought the deadline was the 27th bang

County is Butler and we are in Unit 14
Posted By: thewrap

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 04:34 PM

Posted By: thewrap

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 04:36 PM

A few bucks from last year.

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 04:43 PM

Thanks bud up

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Very true, but not as hard to get a permit as you think. Our unit typically has extra. According to one of the ladies at Kansas DWPT, if your unit sales out, you can purchase one of the neighboring units and list yours as the secondary.

I didn't get mine this year...thought the deadline was the 27th bang

County is Butler and we are in Unit 14

Very hard to get one over the counter in the area I hunt in right now. I put in one last year for WT and MD. I don't think there has ever been any leftover tags in those units I hunt.

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/26/15 09:58 PM

Never been a year that we didn't have left over.

Have you tried putting your unit as a secondary?
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/27/15 12:09 AM

I've heard the units that have MD never have left overs and is a tough draw. Central to east much easier and usually left overs from what I've heard. I would love to hunt Kansas.

Re: Kansas Lease - 04/27/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Never been a year that we didn't have left over.

Have you tried putting your unit as a secondary?

I try different combos for 3 units, using the main unit I hunt in all the combos I enter. I have never seen any leftover WT or MD in those units. Very low deer population due to drought and the fact that there are very few MD permits makes it difficult. IIRC there are only 200 non-res MD permits drawn and anyone who wants one has to get a WT first so that keeps them entries way up from non-res I guess.
Originally Posted By: esnow74
I've heard the units that have MD never have left overs and is a tough draw. Central to east much easier and usually left overs from what I've heard. I would love to hunt Kansas.

I drew a MD permit my very first try and then my second year. Both years were drought years. Drew a WT only last year and did see several really good MD bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum