Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting property insurance

Posted By: epolanco

Hunting property insurance - 03/12/15 03:27 AM

Was looking into buying a small property (120 acres) for hunting,recreation,etc. my question is what kind of insurance is required or recommended to have and what does it cost. Just trying to figure out cost involved with owning a piece of land. Thanks
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/12/15 03:48 AM

Shouldnt have to have any insurance if its just you and your family, now if you sell any hunts you may need something to cover yourself. If you have any structures of value youll proba ly want to insure those. I got a quote for my cabin that is worth around 50k and it was from around $700-1100 a year.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/12/15 04:15 AM

Agree with my buddy Sparrish, but I would have some type of liability.

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/12/15 11:53 AM

Thanks, appreciate it
Posted By: don k

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/12/15 06:22 PM

On the ranch I have liability. Around $250 per year.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/12/15 08:04 PM

You might check your homeowner's policy to see if it covers basic liability already.
Posted By: KS 196 6/8

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 03:02 AM

Go to the QDMA web site you can get insurance there dirt cheap. I just bought a 2 million dollar policy for about $200.00 per year, and that was for 450 acres. They have a tier, you 120 would be much cheaper. I also get a policy for another ranch I hunt 3800 +/- acres and it's only about $550.00 per year for that.

Check it out. Here is the link:

http://www.qdma.com/uploads/pdf/QDMA_HLLI_2014_low.pdf
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: KS 196 6/8
Go to the QDMA web site you can get insurance there dirt cheap. I just bought a 2 million dollar policy for about $200.00 per year, and that was for 450 acres. They have a tier, you 120 would be much cheaper. I also get a policy for another ranch I hunt 3800 +/- acres and it's only about $550.00 per year for that.

^^^^^^
If you have anyone out on the property for recreation besides you and you immediate family, you want liability insurance. It's not your best friend or brother that got seriously hurt or killed that is going to sue you, it is his wife or kids.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

^^^^^^
If you have anyone out on the property for recreation besides you and you immediate family, you want liability insurance. It's not your best friend or brother that got seriously hurt or killed that is going to sue you, it is his wife or kids.

Not only that, but it is common nowadays even for trespassers on your property that get injured to sue you. That's right, even trespassers. They can claim "attractive nuisance" and sue the heck out of you. Let's say some kid or poacher climbs up in your elevated stand - and it falls over and he gets hurt. Whammo - you get sued.

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 12:45 PM

bureau
Originally Posted By: don k
Through the Farm Bureau.
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 03:32 PM

bureau
Through the Farm Bureau.

Dang Don. I got Farm Bureau as well, and it cost me about 50-60 dollars a year for a 1 million dollar liability policy added to my homeowners insurance.

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: newulmboy
bureau
Through the Farm Bureau.

Dang Don. I got Farm Bureau as well, and it cost me about 50-60 dollars a year for a 1 million dollar liability policy added to my homeowners insurance.
I don't have home owners with them. I also have my sons place included on the coverage. Maybe that is the difference. That or I just got screwed.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/13/15 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

^^^^^^

Not only that, but it is common nowadays even for trespassers on your property that get injured to sue you. That's right, even trespassers. They can claim "attractive nuisance" and sue the heck out of you. Let's say some kid or poacher climbs up in your elevated stand - and it falls over and he gets hurt. Whammo - you get sued.

Sad but true. You should have some type of liability coverage to help protect.

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/14/15 01:18 PM

Thanks guys appreciate it
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Hunting property insurance - 03/16/15 02:24 AM

Read whatever your buying carefully. I am an insurance agent and really cant afford the protection i need for my lease. When using the land personally my farm and ranch liability extends coverage however soon as i accept a fee from a lease member i become ineligible.

This is a tricky coverage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum