Texas Hunting Forum

Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa

Posted By: rsquared

Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 07/21/17 03:14 PM

I just got back from an awesome 7 day hunting adventure with Bossie Mostert from www.LBGSafaris.com

can't thank them enough for a great trip. Bossie, Henriette, and their son DJ were a bunch of fun to be around.
we were mostly hunting culls as the main farm of around 6000 acres, has too many impala, wildebeest, zebra and waterbuck.
but Bossie insisted this would not be a sit and shoot type deal. we would have to stalk each and every critter we took.
I ended up taking 15 total animals and we averaged 10 - 15 miles on foot each day. tracking, stalking, recovering, etc...

some tough, almost primitive hunting... and it was awesome.
i ended up taking 2 trophy impala males, 1 trophy kudu (from up in the mountains) 5 zebras, 4 impala females, and 3 wildebeest females.
the Waterbuck cows eluded me(although not for a lack of trying :(, I was pretty dialed in with Bossie's rifle (7x57 Mauser, but I missed my shots on Waterbuck)

here are a few pics

First one down was a female impala

this day, We put in over 10 miles on foot this morning and saw several animals, but they are very tough to get close to, let alone get a good shot on.

Right at noon, we spotted some zebra a mile away and put a stalk on them

About 15 in the herd, and they kept moving
Finally got a window to shoot and got a nice mare.

also got this trophy impala on a stalk just after lunch... i tried to go pro this one, but not sure how it turned out due to the distance

Two big zebra mares and a wildebeest female I named Hildabeest

Day 4 started in a bad way as i wounded two animals, on the first shot of the day. I took a bad shot on an impala and broke her front leg. (PH had me in the right position, but I yanked the shot and she got away. she was running well, but i doubt she survived. after that, we found a herd of zebra and stalked them for an hour to get a shot, i was shooting from a tree top and thought i had a clear shot, but must have missed some branches that deflected the bullet and it hit him way in the back of his guts. we didn't find blood for 400 yds, so we got the dogs and the tracker... followed his prints for 4 miles until after lunch, finally caught up to him with the dog and he turned broadside for me to finish him off, but in my full sprint run chasing the dog and the PH, i had put the gun on safety to avoid shooting the PH in the back. so, when we got on the sticks to shoot, i pulled the trigger, but had forgotten to take it off safety... so, no shot fired and the zebra ran off again... we tried to track him, but were unable to... they found him dead a few days later frown

after lunch, i was able to pull my self out of the morning low and we chased animals all afternoon. Finally got this WildeBeest right before dark from 205 yds while using a tree trunk as my shooting brace.

[img]http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/jtl180/IMG_0421_zpsbrzdmwrs.jpg[/img]

Mountain trip on day 5 and 6 (i wrote that up in another thread)

[img]http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/jtl180/IMG_0497_zps2srnaiv3.jpg[/img]

day 7, I connected on an impala female and missed my final shot on a waterbuck cow...

I will definitely go back... if nothing else, just to kill a darned waterbuck cow... and maybe a baboon too, (darn things bark at you in the mountains and give away your position)

here is a nice pic of the Mostert family i took from the airport (book with confidence, they are high integrity people)

[img]http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/jtl180/Mostert%20family_zps70dnrznp.jpg[/img]

thanks for reading..

Jay
Posted By: LBG Safaris

Re: Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 07/21/17 07:07 PM

Thank you for a great time Jay. It has really been an honor for us to have you around the campfire.
Posted By: LBG Safaris

Re: Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 07/21/17 07:15 PM

Here is a few more pictures we caught on the trip.

Posted By: charrisonLSON

Re: Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 07/21/17 07:40 PM

Beautiful shape on that kudu's horns. Well done!
Posted By: cmc

Re: Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 08/22/17 05:52 PM

Very nice!!
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 08/22/17 09:36 PM

Now that's my kind of hunt! Trophies, culls, lots of hunting and shooting, great hosts.....I'm gonna do that with LBG some day. Congrats on a great hunt.
Posted By: Leadsh2

Re: Great cull hunt with LBG Safaris in South Africa - 08/25/17 03:52 AM

Congratulations and Great pictures and adventure. Looking forward to seeing your mounts
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum