Texas Hunting Forum

I wanna kill an elk

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

I wanna kill an elk - 02/03/17 04:52 AM

Looking for a New Mexico elk hunt. Needs to be landowner permit and hunt during thanksgiving week. I'm honestly really only interested if you KNOW I'm going to see elk. I'm wanting a 300 inch bull plus and will shoot to 700 yards no problem. Budget is around $5000. Any hunts like this available?
Posted By: NMGW

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/03/17 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
Looking for a New Mexico elk hunt. Needs to be landowner permit and hunt during thanksgiving week. I'm honestly really only interested if you KNOW I'm going to see elk. I'm wanting a 300 inch bull plus and will shoot to 700 yards no problem. Budget is around $5000. Any hunts like this available?

Sg2 hunter I will be watching this thread with interest. I live in New Mexico and can't find a deal like that. And I sure can't draw a tag, I am 0 for 10 in the draw. I am thinking about Montana. If you find someone and want to team up let me know... Life long resident so I know the state pretty well.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/03/17 11:15 PM

You'll probably be closer to 8500-10000 if your wanting to hunt the real good areas that produce 320+ bulls, the vouchers for unit 15 are $5500 by themself.
Posted By: Erny

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/03/17 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
You'll probably be closer to 8500-10000 if your wanting to hunt the real good areas that produce 320+ bulls, the vouchers for unit 15 are $5500 by themself.

You beat me to it. Elk hunting in New Mexico is not cheap.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/03/17 11:22 PM

I'm wanting a 300 inch bull plus and will shoot to 700 yards no problem.

Please take a picture (and post it here) of the guide's face when you tell him this in person.

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 02:16 AM

I may have to stick with Colorado. It's just hard to get a week off of work in October.
Posted By: JD88

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 03:10 AM

I live in Colorado and hunt elk every year. All of the over the counter units on public land you will be very lucky to see a 300" bull. And all of the private ranches will be well over $5000
Posted By: jhprice2

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 11:06 AM

Regardless of what state you choose your gonna be spending more than 5k to hunt a free range elk with a decent shot at 300 plus bull
There are a lot of guys who spend 10k and barely crack 300
Posted By: glb1955

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 12:29 PM

Streator Outdoors has private land hunts in the Las Vegas area. Not the 5000 you want, but as other have written, you probably won't find that if you want that class animal. I have hunted with him once and killed a decent animal. Probably could have gotten a 300+ if I had been able to stay around another day. Saw a bunch of elk. He has gone up since I hunted with him in 2012 but it seems that everyone else has too. The guide I had was great!

g
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 01:45 PM

Better double that money.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 02:15 PM

That's to much to hunt any animal imo... let the locals have them
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 02:47 PM

ForisterExotics.com

peep

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 03:38 PM

Maybe I'll spend more then. I have a place in colorado, public land, over the counter that I see at least one 270-280 inch bull every season. I just want a good chance at a good bull if I'm going to take the time off work. Sucks how expensive hunting is now days
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 04:04 PM

Maybe I'll spend more then. I have a place in colorado, public land, over the counter that I see at least one 270-280 inch bull every season. I just want a good chance at a good bull if I'm going to take the time off work. Sucks how expensive Trophy hunting is now days

270 inch bull sounds good lol

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 04:56 PM

Yeah I'm just wanting a bigger bull.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 05:39 PM

Take a look at Rulon Jones' Ranch in Idaho. My neighbor shot a 300 inch bull two years ago there. He said it was 10,000 acres mountains, horseback and high fence. He said he never saw the fence line. There is also a larger portion of the Ranch that's free range. .Not my type of hunting, I'm a DIY public land archery Elk hunter, but it is in your price range and trophy expectations.

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 06:12 PM

Thanks Pappy!!!!
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 09:18 PM

His partner shot a 400" bull that cost him north of $10k. I believe it's a one on one guided trip. Base camp was an outfitter tent. He said the meals were first rate too.
Just looked at his website for the Broadmouth Canyon Ranch. Still list $4,900 plus $688 license for a Management bull.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/04/17 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Pappybear
Take a look at Rulon Jones' Ranch in Idaho. My neighbor shot a 300 inch bull two years ago there. He said it was 10,000 acres mountains, horseback and high fence. He said he never saw the fence line. There is also a larger portion of the Ranch that's free range. .Not my type of hunting, I'm a DIY public land archery Elk hunter, but it is in your price range and trophy expectations.

Rulon also has a ranch in Utah. Broadmouth Canyon Ranch (both Utah and Idaho). I went there in 2014 and killed a 374" bull. The Utah ranch is over 20,000 acres and there is a 5000 acre Preserve. Very nice folks. They have management hunts that are reasonably priced (you can do it for the $5000 you mentioned. I can't tell you how many of those bulls I saw but some of their management animals are huge. Meals and lodging are included. the license is an extra.

g
Posted By: Buckmarkhunter

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/05/17 03:20 AM

I hunted with an outfitter last year that has 28k acre private ranch. It offers 2 bulls and 2 cows for $6000. You will be the only ones on the ranch. I hunted it last year and saw about a 310 bull. I did not shoot it as I had trail cam pics of 3 different bulls over 340. you won't see a lot of animals on this ranch hunt, it's rolling terrain and can be hunted from a truck about 6k ft elevation. But you have the chance at real nice animal. I bought the whole package last year and was after a trophy bull. It didn't happen but like I said I saw sign and trail cam pics of trophies. The governors tag came out of here I think about 9 years ago so genetics are there. Pm me if you want the info. That's
Posted By: NMGW

Re: I wanna kill an elk - 02/05/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Buckmarkhunter
I hunted with an outfitter last year that has 28k acre private ranch. It offers 2 bulls and 2 cows for $6000. You will be the only ones on the ranch. I hunted it last year and saw about a 310 bull. I did not shoot it as I had trail cam pics of 3 different bulls over 340. you won't see a lot of animals on this ranch hunt, it's rolling terrain and can be hunted from a truck about 6k ft elevation. But you have the chance at real nice animal. I bought the whole package last year and was after a trophy bull. It didn't happen but like I said I saw sign and trail cam pics of trophies. The governors tag came out of here I think about 9 years ago so genetics are there. Pm me if you want the info. That's

PM Sent
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum