Texas Hunting Forum

Canned hunt interest.

Posted By: leswad

Canned hunt interest. - 06/29/16 09:21 PM

Since CWD has appeared, the state has made it very difficult to sell and transportation deer, which is putting the antler growers out of business. One of these growers is looking to get rid of his herd, but can't release them because of CWD, so he is thinking about selling bow hunts to cull the herd. I know it would not be much of a hunt, but the deer range from 160 to 200+. Would you think there is a market, and if so, what would someone pay? I believe the deer reside in a 5 acre he pasture.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/29/16 09:24 PM

Not my cup of tea. I'm sure someone would pay to "harvest" a trophy like that. Just better not brag about it here.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 12:11 AM

I second Dkershen. That isn't a hunt, especially on 5 acres. Of course there will be some jackwagon who will pay for his trophy "hunt" so he can hang it and brag about it.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 12:29 AM

And they will film it from very carefully selected angles. grin
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 12:33 AM

Had it not said "5 acres" I think it would get more interest. This would be killing livestock with a bow.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 12:54 AM

No!
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 12:57 AM

Get with Thompson temple for clientele. roflmao
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Get with Thompson temple for clientele. roflmao

Hah! They'll be all over it.

I would be interested if the price was cheap enough to sell the antlers and break even. That's free meat.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 01:34 AM

Damn shame our government is so totalitarian on this.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:15 AM

It's not hunting, it's live target practice.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:45 AM

I think I smell a troll........
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:45 AM

It's the same as any other high fence hunt.

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I think I smell a troll........

Ha! No trolling... Just seeing if there would be any market for it. I would have no interest in paying for this kind of a "hunt".
Posted By: passthru

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 03:51 AM

He doesn't have a larger fenced area he can release them in for you to pretend you are "hunting" them in? And btw I have nothing against HF operations. To each his own. I know of a couple of breeders that have there holding pens but also have 200 to 500 acre HF areas as well.
Posted By: nehntr

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 05:10 AM

Kinda like hunting in Africa
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 07:31 AM

After my elk hunt last season that scored a "goose egg" I went on a canned shooting for elk meat. It was not a hunt by any means, and I was ok with that. Shot a young elk cow, and she tastes so good.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: leswad
Since CWD has appeared, the state has made it very difficult to sell and transportation deer, which is putting the antler growers out of business. One of these growers is looking to get rid of his herd, but can't release them because of CWD, so he is thinking about selling bow hunts to cull the herd. I know it would not be much of a hunt, but the deer range from 160 to 200+. Would you think there is a market, and if so, what would someone pay? I believe the deer reside in a 5 acre he pasture.
one of these growers? would that be you?

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: leswad
one of these growers? would that be you?

No
Posted By: jae011

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 10:22 AM

If the price and weight of the deer was comperable to beef of the same weight then I could see it being an understanble purchase. I wouldn't want to even shoot it necassarily if I was doing the purchasing. In that situation you get to fill the freezer for the same price as beef and maybe hack the antlers to hang on the fence because they look cool. But in no way is that hunting.
Posted By: 974runner

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 11:08 AM

Not much of a hunt...
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 12:19 PM

My cousinlaw has a 200 acre HF pasture he calls a ranch. Sells WT, axis and fallow hunts. He had an old 190-200" breeder buck he wanted shot a year or two ago. Offered him to me for a couple hundred bucks. I wasn't interested. Someone ended up paying a couple hundred to "hunt" him.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 01:20 PM

I know someone who would be interested in taking his disabled son. The boy would be thrilled and not care one bit about whether it's 5 or 5000 acres.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:03 PM

Lets see if the internet morals committee can find something wrong with that.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
My cousinlaw has a 200 acre HF pasture he calls a ranch. Sells WT, axis and fallow hunts. He had an old 190-200" breeder buck he wanted shot a year or two ago. Offered him to me for a couple hundred bucks. I wasn't interested. Someone ended up paying a couple hundred to "hunt" him.

Really no different then driving around shooting does. It is what it is
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:19 PM

Good point made by kdkane1971 that would be the best way I can think of to market that type of "hunt".
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 02:33 PM

I went with 2 other friends for a 'canned' elk shoot on an over-populated ranch down in the hill country. The three of us each paid $500 and we took 2 spike and a cow elk. By no means what this a hunt but it was very enjoyable trip for the 3 of us and we all had a year worth of young elk meat.

I would place no value on their antlers but if I didn't have a place to pick up some deer meat this would be a good opportunity. Depending on this body size/age I could see paying $300 to take one off the place.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 06/30/16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
I went with 2 other friends for a 'canned' elk shoot on an over-populated ranch down in the hill country. The three of us each paid $500 and we took 2 spike and a cow elk. By no means what this a hunt but it was very enjoyable trip for the 3 of us and we all had a year worth of young elk meat.

I would place no value on their antlers but if I didn't have a place to pick up some deer meat this would be a good opportunity. Depending on this body size/age I could see paying $300 to take one off the place.
that's cheaper than you can buy beef
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 12:16 AM

Deer killing, by no means hunting.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 12:51 AM

I could rationalize that (if it wasn't like a 50 acres) as a win-win. You get good meat, at a reasonable price, and the owner gets rid of excess herd reducing his chances of diseased or stressed animals, while still making some money.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 03:25 AM

Wonder how they would be to eat?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Wonder how they would be to eat?

I heard they taste better if they have the big yellow tags in the ear. up
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 05:32 AM

Moderator must be on vacation I Thought this post would have been moved to "Classifieds" items for sale.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 01:11 PM

I know of a big name outfitter in New Zealand that offers red stag hunts on very small pastures. I don't remember exactly how many acres it was,but less then ten for sure. These are near world record animals that go for huge amounts. I was asked if I wanted to shoot one for $300,000 when I was there with another outfitter. He was calling around to the other outfitters trying to sell it. Eventually he did find a buyer and it was later published in the SCI magazine. I was told he does that so the animal doesn't get hurt. It's in there by itself and if you pay the price, you get to walk up to it and kill it. Sadly, I think a lot of those record book people do this more often then they say.

There is a guy in Colorado that has an outfitting business that advertises in some of the magazines who shot a SCI top five deer in a 3 acre pasture. He was at SCI in Las Vegas talking to somebody else I didn't recognize and telling him how cold it was sitting in the blind waiting for the shot. Said it was one of his toughest hunts because of how long he was sitting there. I don't know where the hunt happened, just that he was proud of himself for waiting out that buck inside a 3 acre pen.

I have no issue with harvesting animals of any kind for meat or reducing the herd. Deer, cow or fowl, it's all the same. It's not hunting, it's just a farm chore that needs to be done. It's sad that the state has made it necessary to remove the animals, but if you are losing money on them being there, butchering them or selling them is the only smart thing to do.
Posted By: N-Rut

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 02:55 PM

Yet again, greed interfering with nature. I guess my definition of hunting is not shared by all.
Posted By: Dalep

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 03:54 PM

I know on a normal ranch a deer that size would go for a good chunk of change. I do agree with most that id be willing to stick one with a bow for the price of beef or close to it. Give the antlers to my nephew for his tree fort
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

Here we go. clap
Posted By: therancher

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/01/16 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

I don't believe I've read more ignorant words on this forum. That's saying quite a lot.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/02/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: nehntr
Kinda like hunting in Africa

confused2
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/02/16 05:53 PM

Doesn't sound much easier than sitting there waiting for my corn to spin so deer can come running in. Not my thing but somebody will do it. All it does is guarantee a bigger animal
Posted By: Cast

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/02/16 08:19 PM

I'd be willing to harvest one for the meat and pay a fair price for it, but that's all it is. Meat on the hoof.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/03/16 03:50 AM

nehntr, sounds like you have never been to Africa, concessions are from 2000 acers to 200,000 acers it is not shooting fish in a barrel .Forrest
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/03/16 06:21 PM

Half the people that complain about high fence hunting eat meat from factorys.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/03/16 07:37 PM

Sparrish8, More like 100% of them! Amazing stupidity growing in the world today.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/04/16 01:57 AM

I would gladly take one of my nieces or Nephews on this kind of trip. Not my cup of tea but if the price was right they would have the time of their life.

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/04/16 04:51 AM

I am on vacation and will return pm's when I get back.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/04/16 11:08 PM

I know some people looking to fill their freezers. That's really all it is. It's not a hunt: it's a shot followed by butchering.

Re: Canned hunt interest. - 07/07/16 11:34 PM

It looks as if my buddy will cull these animals out and donate the meat locally.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum