Texas Hunting Forum

Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter

Posted By: sparrish8

Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/27/16 10:57 PM

Well NM draw passed and we didnt draw so Im looking for recomendation for an outfitter that consistently shoots 180-200" mulies and possibly bigger. Their could be up to 3 of us. Panhandle, NM or Colorado would be nice but could go farther NM or CO would have to have vouchers. Please let me know any good experinces youve had for a true chance at a monster.
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/28/16 03:35 AM

I have Monster Mule Deer in Old Mexico

Hard to find a deal better for the size deer we kill.

I have plenty of picture and many references.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/28/16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
Well NM draw passed and we didnt draw so Im looking for recomendation for an outfitter that consistently shoots 180-200" mulies and possibly bigger. Their could be up to 3 of us. Panhandle, NM or Colorado would be nice but could go farther NM or CO would have to have vouchers. Please let me know any good experinces youve had for a true chance at a monster.

Good luck with that. Those are hard to find anywhere. I've hunted Sonora, MX 3 times, and they are very difficult to find there too (no offense to Kimber). I did luck into a 214" gross monster typical though back in 2006 so it is possible. I haven't been back down there since 2008.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/28/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider

Good luck with that. Those are hard to find anywhere. I've hunted Sonora, MX 3 times, and they are very difficult to find there too (no offense to Kimber). I did luck into a 214" gross monster typical though back in 2006 so it is possible. I haven't been back down there since 2008.

Last year we harvest 6 deer over 200" free range the biggest was in the mid 230's

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/28/16 08:07 PM

How many hunters?

Make no mistake, my post was not in any way intended negatively towards you. I know the game down there, and know that bucks that size are few and far between anywhere. I've killed 3 bucks 190'+, and that giant 214" typical (only one from MX). There are far fewer outfitters down there nowadays too, and way fewer hunters venture down there for obvious reasons. I can see how those that go anyway may have slightly better odds than years past.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/29/16 04:52 AM

I agree, there are very few outfitters or places you can go that CONSISTENTLY shoot 180-200 class MD. They have to have a lot of age on them and great genetics to get that big. 1 out of 3 hunters maybe but 3 out of 3 not gonna happen.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/29/16 11:40 AM

Well guys my old Mexico mule deer hunts are for 180" deer plus.

On farm ground in Colorado every year we kill a few really big deer. Had one into the 260's one time.

Farm ground in Colorado basically turn into a bidding war though
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/29/16 03:58 PM

This is who I'd go with....http://www.kennedyhuntingservices.com/deer-hunting.htm
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/29/16 05:49 PM

Pitchfork is correct. Your not gonna find those numbers in a panhandle or NM hunt. Frankly I'd be very leary of an outfitter that made promises of 180+ outside of the Sonora Desert or a few units in AZ. Possibly the sand hills.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/29/16 11:54 PM

I know SE Colorado has some monsters, obviously it's not guaranteed for that size but I want to hunt somewhere their seeing them on the ranch and it's a real possibility.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 04/30/16 12:58 AM

Kimber I just sent you a pm.
Posted By: P&YHuntinJunkie

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/02/16 05:26 PM

If money was no option I would go with Wade Lemons outfit in Sonora. I have hunted with him twice and taken Mule Deer over 200" on both trips. He runs one of the best operations I have ever seen. Truly first class all the way.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/02/16 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: P&YHuntinJunkie
If money was no option I would go with Wade Lemons outfit in Sonora. I have hunted with him twice and taken Mule Deer over 200" on both trips. He runs one of the best operations I have ever seen. Truly first class all the way.

My understanding is that Wade's the man in Sonora. He doesn't list prices on his website but I doubt you could get booked with him for under $15K. Can I ask what you paid P&Y?
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/02/16 06:54 PM

Me and a buddy hunted with Wade Lemon last year and a lot of things were not as promised.We felt like we were mislead in several ways.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 01:49 AM

He's been known to mislead, no doubt about it. Like the time a 3-4 yrs ago they killed a monster buck and plasterd the pics all over everywhere to advertise their expertise. Turned out it was a pen raised buck, protein fed, that was let go a few days prior to the hunter showing up to kill it. Numerous pics surfaced afterwards of the buck eating from a protein feeder with the high fence in the background.

I'm not representing that was illegal, but it was very much dishonest. He's not squeaky clean.
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 01:48 PM

The more I have been to Mexico the more I have realized that the high fence Mule deer is becoming more and more common. Not saying everybody is doing it just make sure you dot your Is and cross your Ts before you book a hunt in MX.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 04:02 PM

I just picked up 3 permits to hunt Mule Deer on the Tiburon Island Monster Muleys.

But yes you have to be very careful who you book with in Mexico
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 05:58 PM

He's been known to mislead, no doubt about it. Like the time a 3-4 yrs ago they killed a monster buck and plasterd the pics all over everywhere to advertise their expertise. Turned out it was a pen raised buck, protein fed, that was let go a few days prior to the hunter showing up to kill it. Numerous pics surfaced afterwards of the buck eating from a protein feeder with the high fence in the background.

I'm not representing that was illegal, but it was very much dishonest. He's not squeaky clean.

He's not the only dishonest one down there. Lots of them are this way now they gotta get business back somehow. I know two others off the top of my head so there's gotta be several
Posted By: P&YHuntinJunkie

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 09:30 PM

I don't know about the high fence mule deer scandal but I can tell you this. His hunters kill A LOT of mule deer over 200". Look at the pictures on his website. It's kind of hard to believe he's releasing all of them off of a high fence place to possibly never see them again. JMO
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Kimber1911
I just picked up 3 permits to hunt Mule Deer on the Tiburon Island Monster Muleys.

But yes you have to be very careful who you book with in Mexico

Have a cost estimate, spoken for, etc?

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 10:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys, this is the kinda stuff I like to hear when looking around.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/03/16 10:54 PM

Pics aren't there but you can read about it here.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/8581016591
Posted By: Texas Shag

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/04/16 03:13 PM

get ahold of Aaron Neilson (should be easy to find on google). He used to guide all over Eastern Colorado and North East New Mexico, and is known for his monster muledeer. he will know who you need to hunt with in the southwest US to kill a big mulie.

http://westernlegends.net/our-story.html

Erik Schell runs the day to day operations on Aaron's old grounds now.
He can sell you a landowner tag (albeit at a premium) if you cant draw his areas.

Posted By: captmike

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/16/16 12:14 PM

Don't know about size, we saw lots of nice muley's while blue quail hunting with Wayne Wiemers out of Marfa. All low fence 432-729-3308 He treated us right on quail. 432-729-3308

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/19/16 09:44 PM

Still looking

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/30/16 09:56 PM

Up
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 05/30/16 11:48 PM

Don't give up brother, there is one out there with your name on it. I know of some really good places, but their not hunting there. Call me soon.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 06/10/16 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.
Don't give up brother, there is one out there with your name on it. I know of some really good places, but their not hunting there. Call me soon.

Thanks Lonnie, I actually just found a hunt in SE Colorado unit 128 east of walsenburg on private land I'm pretty excited, anyone that's hunted that unit feel free to chime in.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 06/11/16 02:38 AM

I am excited for you, can't wait to see photos !

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 06/13/16 02:08 AM

Who you hunting with in 128?

Re: Mule Deer Hunt Outfitter - 06/13/16 02:14 AM

TM ranch
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum