Texas Hunting Forum

Shiras Moose ?

Posted By: jhprice2

Shiras Moose ? - 03/07/16 03:54 AM

Anyone ever hunted Shiras Moose in Utah ?
Any info appreciated
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Shiras Moose ? - 03/07/16 03:17 PM

Never had a tag, but saw some huge ones just south of Evansville Wyoming, across the border into Utah on a 25,000 acre ranch. They where all over the place there. I was hunting mule deer and some of the bull moose where so aggressive that they would stand their ground as you walked up to them. Twice I got off the trail and went around them. My buddy told me that he had one charge him, or at least run a few steps in his direction enough to scare him. We only saw a few elk, but lots of moose!!!!
Posted By: BigSpud

Re: Shiras Moose ? - 03/07/16 03:58 PM

What do you wish to know? Are you hunting? CWMU or draw a tag. I have taken 2 in Utah, wife and I one apiece in Idaho. The best area, most density is near Ogden, or was. PM me with specifics and I'll gladly chime in. My wife's Idaho bull went 166 and change net...
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Shiras Moose ? - 03/09/16 03:22 AM

I've got some friends in the Meadowville/ Cache area that have 20k acres. They have access to get an auction tag. Last time I was elk hunting with them we saw lots of moose. Some were very nice animals. They aren't afraid of a truck and are very seldom hunted.
Posted By: utcb

Re: Shiras Moose ? - 03/28/16 06:26 PM

I drew a moose tag on Durst Mountain CWMU about 10 years ago - not too far from Ogden. I shot a decent bull, but was a couple larger bulls that never got close to.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Shiras Moose ? - 03/28/16 08:41 PM

My FIL shot one in '14 after drawing a Wasatch tag and booking with Tory Brock. It should be borderline book after drying, but the bigger one that never would cooperate was shot by a conservation tag holder a little later on. He enjoyed his trip.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum