Texas Hunting Forum

Prairie dog hunt

Posted By: Cleric

Prairie dog hunt - 03/04/16 04:16 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for a prairie dog hunt? Not looking for anything super fancy. What are the range of prices?

Would like to take my dad on a hunt for his birthday. Prefer within a few hours of dallas.

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/06/16 12:38 AM

No one loco
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/06/16 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Anyone have any recommendations for a prairie dog hunt? Not looking for anything super fancy. What are the range of prices?

Would like to take my dad on a hunt for his birthday. Prefer within a few hours of dallas.

A "few hours from Dallas" may be an issue unless a few to you is 6-8 hours
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/06/16 03:12 PM

You need to do some research on prairie dogs and have a helipad close to your back yard if you are going to get to any type prairie dog hunt in a few hours. roflmao

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/06/16 05:50 PM

So if 6-8 hours is doable where would I look
Posted By: Sitkahunter

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/07/16 02:58 AM

Give me a call, I'm 8 hours away from Dallas, 5054290253
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/07/16 03:23 PM

I did it in Eastern Montana after a deer hunt. Thought it would be fun, but after awhile, it just wasn't all that big of a deal. Killing them was too easy, so we would try to get them to do a flip in the air. If you hit them just right, they go up and over. After awhile, that got boring too.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Prairie dog hunt - 03/08/16 12:20 AM

To each their own.... We use to go Colorado Pronghorn hunting with our 30-30 contenders (14" barrel) 130 grain single shot bullets. Then after success on goats we would spend a couple days depleting the prairie dog population. First we would set up on a big town. Start with the 22 mag. Then move up to the 22 hornet... then the 22-250. The rancher was happy and we enjoyed the day in the field practicing our short and long range game. Five years is a row we had some good times.

I think you will enjoy the trip. rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum