Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for Monster Mulie

Posted By: Bowman24

Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 02:29 AM

Looking for a monster Mule Deer either this year or next to take with Bow or Crossbow. I'm permitted to hunt during archery season in most states with a Crossbow. Willing to pay big money.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 02:58 AM

What size is a monster to you?
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 03:06 AM

I would check wildlife systems, or southern CO, or the indian reserve in North western new mexico but all of these will probably be $7500+, CO being the cheapest
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 03:36 AM

contact Dan Harrison with Colorado Mountain Adventures
They had a client shoot one yesterday scored 207 and this was not the biggest deer they saw. They produce 200 plus inch deer every year in Eastern Colorado
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 04:17 AM

Following

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 06:12 AM

And are you looking to stay in Texas? If willing to travel then go to Sonora or Alberta.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 04:16 PM

Seems like the biggest Mule Deer that I'm seeing are coming out of Utah. Very expensive, but the trophy quality is just amazing!!!!
Posted By: P&YHuntinJunkie

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/05/15 06:54 PM

If money was no option I would go with Wade Lemons outfit in Sonora. I have hunted with him twice and taken Mule Deer over 200" on both trips. He runs one of the best operations I have ever seen. Truly first class all the way.
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/06/15 01:13 PM

I hunted with Wade a couple weeks ago had a little different experince.

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/06/15 02:44 PM

You went on a Mule Deer hunt in Mexico a few weeks ago Deer Hound?
Posted By: WBT

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/06/15 03:19 PM

I'm very interested to hear about Deer Hound's experience. I've considered hunting with Wade Lemmon myself.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/06/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: WBT
I'm very interested to hear about Deer Hound's experience. I've considered hunting with Wade Lemmon myself.

x2

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/06/15 04:58 PM

No I hunted in Utah with him
Posted By: Hughiam

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/06/15 08:36 PM

what were the costs for Lemon's place in Sonora?
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 03:17 AM

Wade Lemon is no stranger to those high fenced Sonora bucks. Just make sure you understand what you're getting into.
Posted By: thecoach

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 04:49 AM

Please, would someone elaborate on this.

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 03:24 PM

A few short years ago (3 maybe), he posted a giant buck that they killed in Sonora that the public was lead to believe was a free range buck, only to find out it was in fact raised in a high fenced "pen", and released to be killed by the hunters. Make no mistake, it was entirely legal, just a bit misleading.
Posted By: thecoach

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 05:54 PM

yea, defiantly not a good situation

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 06:12 PM

Make sure have deep pockets. Cause that's all is about and a lot of unexpected cost. Make sure you are very clear on what is expected and who is providing what.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 06:55 PM

Alberta would be my choice. I had some friends up there this week take 3 bucks, all in the low 200's with rifles. One might net book typical.
Posted By: batman

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Deer Hound
Make sure have deep pockets. Cause that's all is about and a lot of unexpected cost. Make sure you are very clear on what is expected and who is providing what.

Not good! I would expect a "reputable" business to provide adequate information, not rely on the customer to inquire or risk a huge surprise.

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/07/15 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Alberta would be my choice. I had some friends up there this week take 3 bucks, all in the low 200's with rifles. One might net book typical.

Who was the outfitter stx? I love big mule deer. Thanks.

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/10/15 11:00 PM

I hunted in Sonora 2013, and 2014 with Wade Lemons outfit. Wade Lemon himself was not there but it was no high fence property and the hunt was great. I can only speak from my experience but I have hunted mule deer in Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and Sonora. My favorite hunts were by far the Utah and Sonora hunts. There were plenty of Mulies and I would say the majority of them were between 170-190 in Sonora. The hunt was the most expensive Mule deer hunt I have ever been on so be ready. I will share the price I paid just PM me.
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/11/15 02:31 AM

P&Y,
What outfitter did you use in Utah? I'm wanting to go there for mule deer.

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/11/15 04:08 AM

Mike Gardner
Riata Hunting and Fishing
Posted By: Bowman24

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/11/15 01:44 PM

Mike, to me a monster is 190"+ right now. I really just want to hunt a place that is well scouted and where I can at least see some bucks 190+ even a 200". Not looking for a place that saw a "really big buck" last year and a "they're in here, you just have to find them" kind of place. I don't need any guarantees, just the best opportunity to get up on a great buck or two...make sense? I really feel like I'm going to have to go to Sonora.
that being said, what do you have in Texas?
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/11/15 03:30 PM

Ive been to MX but I'm not a Sonora expert but I can tell you that if you don't get lucky and hit the rut right it's going to be tough hunting. Even if you do hit the rut right it's going to be tough hunting. I have friends that have been going to MX for 10+ years and they typically say 1 out of 3 years is good. Last year we killed a 187 202 and 217 it was a good year! The year before the biggest buck seen was a 170. Like anywhere the trick is finding the right ranch that isn't over hunted. You have to put your time in, a 190+ Buck is a rare buck anywhere.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/12/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
I would check wildlife systems

over the years they have killed 2 or so that have gone 200, but 150-175 is the usual. Considering theirs are Deserts, those are pretty big.

for the price I would look eastern Colorado or western Kansas for outfitter that takes multiple 200's a year and typical is more in range of 170-190. seem like everything is relative, if their front page is a 230-240 Mulie, then they take a few 200's a year and average close to 190. If front page is a 200 Mulie, then they probably take a 180 every year and average 160-170.

trophy Mulie hunts are in high demand and command prices up there with quality Elk.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/12/15 07:12 PM

talking about Kansas, the man is here himself, Jeremy from Sage Brush. They kill several Mulies around 200 a year! I want to hunt with Jeremy one of these years, but after taking 170+ Mulies with TnT two years in row I'm focusing on Whitetail and Elk for awhile.
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/12/15 11:12 PM

Not sure on the score but people on a few other forums seem to be huge fans of Non Typical Outfitters...

http://nontypicaloutfitters.com/mule-deer-index.php

Never hunted with them and not an expert on mule deer scores though so look through the website and see what you think.
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/12/15 11:50 PM

I have some monster mule deer in Sonora Mexico our average deer last year was 196"

Hunts are $10,000 all inclusive includes license and weapon permits

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/12/15 11:51 PM

I also have big mule deer in Colorado if you want to hunt low farm ground get ready because it's not cheap.

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/13/15 01:45 AM

Kimber- message me info on the Colorado hunt
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/13/15 02:11 AM

I've been on this forum a number of years....check it out.

http://www.monstermuleys.com/

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/21/15 06:20 AM

I have monster mule deer hunts all inclusive in Sonora Mexico.

Last year our average was 196"

I have limited availability open.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/21/15 11:38 AM

Also check out Desert Safaris. They have great Texas Mule Deer and kill them every year. But they are booked a couple of years out and are pricey.
Posted By: MAP

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 11/21/15 02:38 PM

anybody ever hunt muledeer with wildlife systems? They seem to have killed a few monsters.
Posted By: Brettm

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 12/02/15 03:38 AM

We have an excellent outfitter in Eastern Colorado that would fit the bill. Have a client booked on this exact same hunt for next year.

Here's 3 of the deer they took this fall.
I didn't get permission from the hunters on their mule deer so thus the blurry faces.

There is an opening in November for 2016.
1x1 hunt
Landowner voucher included

Wouldn't be a problem with the crossbow as long as you have a permit

One point is obscured by the blurry face

Feel free to call me if interested.

Brett
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 12/02/15 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Also check out Desert Safaris. They have great Texas Mule Deer and kill them every year. But they are booked a couple of years out and are pricey.

I had a great experience with Desert Safaris on a free range Axis hunt this summer. Hunter Ross was honest and told me exactly what to expect. Everything he said was right on the money including the 150 yard average shot. (Mine was 155). After being in a blind for years, spot and stalk was a blast. Made it hard to get back in the blind.
Posted By: Brettm

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 12/02/15 10:38 PM

They just took another beauty!!

Brett
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Looking for Monster Mulie - 12/12/15 08:53 PM

Also looking for a good outfitter for a rifle Mulie hunt that consistently harvests bucks >180"...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum