Texas Hunting Forum

The capsule

Posted By: rickym

The capsule - 03/23/18 02:53 PM

Anyone have experience with these feeders? I’ve heard good and bad about them and though I probably wouldn’t normally buy one, I’ve found a 250# model for under $200 and am considering it.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: The capsule - 03/23/18 05:46 PM

I've got 2 of them. A 250 & 500 lb model. Had them going on 5 yrs. No problems at all. I really like them.
Posted By: GHale

Re: The capsule - 03/27/18 08:13 PM

That would be a great price at $200.
Posted By: Sim69z28

Re: The capsule - 03/28/18 05:10 AM

I have the 500#. This was third year in use. I like it especially when it comes to adding corn. No ladder involved. The only problem I have is near end of season every year it quits augering the corn due to powder build up in bottom of feeder. I use the triple cleaned corn but still have problems. It is difficult to clean out so now I take a generator and use a shop vac to remove the powder. After that it works fine for months.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: The capsule - 03/28/18 01:05 PM

I have a 1000# one that's been working on the same battery and timer and solar panel for about 5 years now. They save more corn than you can imagine. The squirrels and coons try for a while, then give up. The only things I have found to do to improve the usage:
1. Cut about an inch and a half off the bottom of the PVC at the base. Helps keep it from clogging.
2. Only use clean corn. I built a screen/funnel out of hardware cloth/screen so the fines fall out when you add corn.
3. Run it until empty, then turn it on it's side and dump out the dust.
4. Mine came with a plastic spinner plate. I replaced it with metal after the squirrels. They may only sell the metal plates now.
5. Keep some of the d-ring clips that secure the auger to the motor on hand. They fail infrequently, but they do fail.

Here's a previous thread with the pics of the screen: Capsule feeder
Posted By: splitear8

Re: The capsule - 03/28/18 01:17 PM

I have a 1000# capsule feeder now for about 5 years. Replaced battery 1 time. Put in stronger safety pins between motor and auger. Works great!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: The capsule - 03/28/18 06:10 PM

I've got a 250# It works great just have to turn timer up 2or3 seconds longer than on traditional timers..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum