Texas Hunting Forum

Solar Charger Deer Feeder

Posted By: Hog Slayer

Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/12/17 02:30 AM

This year opening morning the feeder didn't go off and we saw no deer at the feeder. After the hunt, Moultrie timer showed 100% for battery, but this was with solar panel connected to 6V rechargeable battery. Did a test on feeder and watched timer count down and the instant motor would have tried to start turning, the display on the timer went dead and motor did not spin at all. Measured battery with volt meter before disconnecting solar panel and measured about 7.5 volts. Disconnected solar panel from battery and noted after several measurements over a period of several minutes that the battery voltage was decaying, so realized does no good to check battery voltage with solar panel connected when the sun is shining. Measured output of solar panel and was 9 volts. Pretty much same scenario on another feeder we have. Although it did throw corn, it was pretty wimpy coming out whereas a new battery should spray the corn out hard enough to sting when you're taking it point blank in the chest. That solar panel measured 10 volts when disconnected from battery.

I have a few questions. Does it hurt the 6V rechargeable batteries when hitting it with 9 or 10 volts from the solar panel. Does anyone use any kind of charge controllers for the solar panel? Anyone know of a switch that is cheap and easy to install that would isolate the solar panel from the battery without having to spend several minutes untwisting the solar panel wires from the springs on the battery, probably be easiest to just install some alligator clips on the output wires from the solar panel I guess. Also, I was going to ask if anyone knew best way to test the battery under load, I guess just disconnect the solar panel output wires from the battery and then do a test on the feeder, right?

Will probably just replace the battery each year and not get too overly complicated about it unless anyone has any better ideas. Obviously makes a huge difference on the hunt when your feeder does not throw corn and all the feeders on the surrounding properties do. Thanks.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/12/17 04:08 AM

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner--6v-4-ah-feeder-battery#repChildCatid=3747102

Stop using batteries with a spring on top, they always seam to have problems!!!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/12/17 04:38 AM

Why don't you make your life easier and just make everything 6v or 12v, panels, battery and motor?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/12/17 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Why don't you make your life easier and just make everything 6v or 12v, panels, battery and motor?

Yup, 12v is the way to go. I've got two units that have been in the field since 2010 and I've only replaced the batteries once. The panels look like crap and that they shouldn't be working, but they're still going strong and charging perfectly.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/12/17 02:46 PM

I run both, don't have a reason to get rid of the 6volt feeders I have running. If I'm lucky enough to keep hunting all my feeders will be 12 volt eventually. I run two 6 volt batteries in a series on my 12 volt feeders so all my feeders take the 6 volt batteries.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/12/17 11:40 PM

To me when you say springs that sounds like alkaline batteries. I will be the first to admit I could be wrong. The voltage your 6 volt charger puts out should not be the issue. Sounds like a dead cell, get a 6 volt rechargeable at academy/wally world that has the spades on it. They are about $10.00. While I strictly use 12 volt I did have a rechargeable battery go out several years ago that had the same symptoms. Hope that helps.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/13/17 01:51 AM

Are those batteries with spring connectors even rechargeable? Don't think so.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/13/17 02:34 AM

Wilhunt has a good point. And just as a general rule, when something won’t work, my first step is to replace the battery. It’s always the battery (not always, but close enough).
Posted By: Stinger13

Re: Solar Charger Deer Feeder - 11/19/17 06:58 PM

Also check the fuse system, maybe corroded or loose.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum