Texas Hunting Forum

Junky old blind

Posted By: chalet

Junky old blind - 10/25/17 02:56 PM

Built a couple of these last minute for deer season 2011 out of used shipping crates and lumber. Every year I think I'm going to build one a little taller, little nicer, little bigger. Every year I patch it up and keep using it, works well enough and I see plenty of animals. Tidy'd up nicely yesterday, sat there until a little after dark waiting on pigs that never showed but saw a bunch of deer, one maybe shooter. The gap between the particle board and shooting rail I left intentionally, back then my kids were too short to see over the shooting rail. Think the roll wire was a good idea. I don't have much trouble not being noticed by the deer, throw in a kid or extra adult though and it can be challenging. Pretty common for deer to walk right past the front of it. Scrub brush and weeds I hung should help break up human outlines a little better. Reminds me of the old brush blinds me and Dad used to sit in all the time.

Before pic.

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Junky old blind - 10/25/17 04:14 PM

I have enough materiel to upgrade that blind.... just shot me a PM.

Re: Junky old blind - 10/25/17 04:35 PM

Thanks, but I have pretty limitless amount of materials. It is time I'm short on, plus I kind of like it the way it is.

My dingdong buddy I hunt with built his stand across a a little creek channel that feeds into the tank. Not sure why, he could have put in on the road side and not have to worry about it. 1st year no big deal, last couple it has been full of water. Him and his wife just had their 3rd kid so I have been keeping his feeder full and an eye on his stand. Built a bridge across the creek yesterday. Same thing, 16' skid I had come through here and was headed to the dump. I sunk the posts about 2', then ran a tpost next them and tied it up. Think I'll take a couple bags of concrete next time and make it a little more solid. Probably need to anchor the ends also.

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Junky old blind - 10/25/17 05:57 PM

I just purchased some lumber from Home Depot to build a stand very similar to yours. I purchased 4 - 2x4's 10' long and the box is 4 x 4. Most of it is treated lumber. Cost: $52.00 This blind will lay down in the bed of my truck (8' bed) and can be transported to any location for a "quick" set up. I already have plywood for the floor and have 3 packs of the camo burlap to wrap around the sides. I will post pictures when I have it completely built. Thank you for the idea chalet!

Re: Junky old blind - 10/25/17 06:58 PM

No problem. These are 4x6 at the top, I can lay them over into the truck and move them by myself. Not sure if the legs would hold up to it now as long as they have been outside.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Junky old blind - 10/26/17 11:32 PM

I have hunted, and killed deer, from much worse. Don't fear a little jankage!
Posted By: Paul W

Re: Junky old blind - 10/27/17 02:47 PM

Adapt and overcome...

Re: Junky old blind - 11/04/17 02:34 PM

Think I found my happy spot.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Junky old blind - 11/04/17 05:59 PM

cheers
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: Junky old blind - 11/04/17 07:13 PM

I like, mine is a 4x4 and was built in 2001, steel stand but the blind is starting to rot. Still works. floor getting soft also.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Junky old blind - 11/05/17 03:19 PM

I'd rock it!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Junky old blind - 11/07/17 02:46 PM

I think it’s great. Kids can’t be too comfortable when hunting. I spent my youth sitting in the fork of a tree on a 2x6. I loved it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum