Texas Hunting Forum

Floor Idea.....

Posted By: TiggerV

Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 06:49 PM

It is time for me to replace the plywood floor in my blind. Weather, rot, deterioration etc. etc....

The floor is 4x4. Instead of half a sheet of plywood, why can't I use 2, eight foot, 2x12s? Yeah, huge increase in weight, but they sure would last a lot longer and be tons more secure.

Seems simple enough? Am I missing something?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 07:04 PM

They'll twist up and warp on you in no time. Cracks will form between boards and every nasty critter for miles will move in. Use a double layer of 1/2" pressure treated plywood instead.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 08:28 PM

Also a 2x12 is not 12" wide.

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 08:38 PM

Yes, but my towers dimension are not tight enough for the 1/2 in to 3/4 in to make a difference....
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 08:45 PM

Using 2x12's will be fine. Use treated lumber. They will shrink and there will be a gap between the boards, like a deck would have (as Cast said). They will be heavier and won't be a tight fit. Also depends on how your blind was originally built to "hold" the flooring. You might end up having to make other modifications to allow the additional thickness of the floor. Other than that, should serve the purpose for a floor.

If you go back with plywood, seal it with a product or even paint on both sides and the edges. It will last much longer. I would seal any raw wood you install.

Good luck cheers

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 09:19 PM

Maybe "Blind" is the wrong word....

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 09:24 PM

rofl Yes, the 2x12's will work for that! Brace it well underneath, use wood glue and screw it, don't nail it. Will help cut down on the "squeaking".
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 09:48 PM

For what it's worth.... the biggest deer I ever shot was sitting in something like that...

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
For what it's worth.... the biggest deer I ever shot was sitting in something like that...

Guess I should note that I wasn't laughing at the stand itself, I was laughing at what the "normal" perspective of what a stand is now-a-days compared to what he posted. I like his!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 10:04 PM

Must've been hell gettin him down from up there

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 10:07 PM

She's cheap, She's solid, and she holds my [censored] up.....

Unlike my First 2 wives.... confused2

Will be building another similar to this, but using pallets as a floor. All picked up Free on CraigsList.

And I also have a stack up wood fence panels waiting to build a 3rd blind.....Also picked up on the Free....

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

roflmao

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

rofl
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 10:59 PM

This is turning into a great thread!!! He was almost 200lbs so yes it was.....
Posted By: chalet

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 11:16 PM

Holy chit, we must be related as I've built a few just like that. Personally don't like enclosed blinds, would much rather be in the open. 10' 2x4's for the legs, floor about 6' up , box 4x6 to fit me and a kid. The one I'm in now is on year #7, floor is getting a little soft and needs some TLC but ought to milk another couple years out of it. I make them mostly out of scrap crates that come through my warehouse so they cost next to nothing to build.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/05/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TiggerV
Yes, but my towers dimension are not tight enough for the 1/2 in to 3/4 in to make a difference....

The difference would be 3 inches on one side.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/06/17 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
Originally Posted By: TiggerV

The difference would be 3 inches on one side.

Leave the gap on the backside for bathroom breaks, beats having to climb in and out every time you have to take a leak.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/06/17 12:42 PM

You mean its possible to kill a deer from a blind that isn't shaped like a giant stump and/or purchased form a box store?
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/06/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet
Leave the gap on the backside for bathroom breaks, beats having to climb in and out every time you have to take a leak.

That's what empty Gatorade bottles are for!
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/08/17 03:05 AM

just use deck boards, theyre caled 5/4x6 deck boards there ruffly 1x6. build all my stands using this method and my floor never rots, i just place a piece of carpet over it.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/08/17 04:15 AM

I have used treated fence pickets or cedar pickets (wide).

Lay it like a wood floor. Use liquid nails on sides and bottom and screw in.

Cover with carpet tiles..
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/08/17 10:42 AM

They make plastic deck boards. I thjnk they're called Trex. They'll probably outlive your lumber and don't warp or shrink. Kind of pricey though.
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: Floor Idea..... - 09/27/17 09:44 PM

Put treated plywood in it and put some old carpet over it... i replace the carpet every year and floor is in good shape 4 years later...
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Floor Idea..... - 10/16/17 02:17 AM

Treated wood is what I just replaced my floor with. I painted both sides with elastomeric roof paint and then added carpet squares to reduce the snare drum effect should I drop something.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Floor Idea..... - 10/16/17 01:38 PM

Yep, I'd go 5/4 PT decking board. Will last a while.

Nice setup! I still have a couple like that myself, hard to beat on a warm day. Bet it hunts like a dream.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Floor Idea..... - 10/18/17 06:58 PM

I like the design! I can build one of these (make it 8' or 10' tall), load it in back of my truck (8' bed) and take it with me to the ranch or WMA and set it up with a buddy (temporary portable stand.) You can also make a light weight roof that would come on and off of the structure. Definitely giving me some ideas!!!!
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Floor Idea..... - 10/18/17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: vanguard
just use deck boards, theyre caled 5/4x6 deck boards there ruffly 1x6. build all my stands using this method and my floor never rots, i just place a piece of carpet over it.
+1 I've used these for the same setup
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum