Texas Hunting Forum

DIY rifle rest for box blind

Posted By: Deerhunter61

DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/17/17 06:15 PM

Guys,

I'm looking for ideas on how to build two movable rests for my box blind that will be completely sturdy. I've got a couple of ideas but I'd like to see if any of you have built one that works great. I feel pretty good shooting out to 150-200 yards with only a front rest but no further. This year I could legimately have a 500 yard shot, not that I'm sure I take one at that distance but I'd like to have a set that would allow me to do so if I chose to.

Thanks
Posted By: fouzman

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/17/17 06:23 PM

I use a two-legged trigger stick under the butt of my gun for long range shooting from a blind. Dog ear sand bag on the window ledge. Solid as a rock.
Posted By: JJH

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/17/17 06:45 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip
Posted By: pertnear

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/17/17 07:58 PM

I take 2 items with me to a deer blind. A sand bag that sits on the window edge & a long wood clamp that I attaches to the open window that I can use as an elbow rest. BIG accuracy improvement! elmer
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/18/17 12:50 AM

Build a wide window ledge and a long sand bag. Has worked great for many years. The wood workers clamp above is also a good idea.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/18/17 01:05 AM

Have you shot out to 500 with your hunting rifle? Know your dope or aiming point? If I was gonna take a shot like that on an animal I would have to be very comfortable shooting at that distance with that weapon. Maybe use a front bag and a monopod on the rear?

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/18/17 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Have you shot out to 500 with your hunting rifle? Know your dope or aiming point? If I was gonna take a shot like that on an animal I would have to be very comfortable shooting at that distance with that weapon. Maybe use a front bag and a monopod on the rear?
I have the equipment and have rang steel out to 1200 yds...so yes with a SOLID rest I'm comfortable. Again I'm not saying I will because I simply don't know if I will but equipment and proficiency is not the concern....
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/18/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I have the equipment and have rang steel out to 1200 yds...so yes with a SOLID rest I'm comfortable. Again I'm not saying I will because I simply don't know if I will but equipment and proficiency is not the concern....
gotcha any way to lay in the probe next to the stand or do you need to be elevated?

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/20/17 12:45 PM

So guys here is what I came up with. I attached the below with hinges to the shelf and used a 1x4 as a leg. It will allow me to use it to shoot out the two windows that allow relatively long range shots.

Posted By: pertnear

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/20/17 01:33 PM

Deerhunter61, now that's an AWESOME set up! happy3
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/20/17 02:07 PM

I use one of those neoprene wrist cushions that people use for their hands when typing, it lays flat across a window ledge and prevents any noise
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/20/17 05:39 PM

I like that!! Good luck!!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/20/17 06:04 PM

Caldwell shooting bag on the window seal and a pair of Bog Pog shooting sticks. Rock solid and you can leave your gun in a shooting position.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 08/25/17 04:36 PM

I like your hinged shelves-neat idea! up
Posted By: Vern1

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 09/05/17 11:46 PM

I usually sit in a reclining/swiveling office chair in my blinds and shoot from there only using the carpeted edge of the window for a rest.

When I do final cold bore hunting sight in and barrel fouling, I just use a simple front rest and hold the gun like I hunt with it.
I do all my hunting from a simple front rest as there are lots of times when walking or riding you can't use a bench and full rests.

The maximum hunting distance where I hunt is a little under 300 yards.
That being said, 95+ percent of my shots are between 75 and 150 yards.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 09/10/17 05:42 PM

Vern, I'll signup for your max shooting distance. Hunters primary concern with distance should be getting a "clean" kill. I qualified Expert w/M-14 on Army 400 yd KD Range in 1963, but years have reduced that to 150 yds. Stands on our hunting lease limit shots at around 150 yds due to trees & brush. Our blinds are 4x6 with shooting windows on 3 sides using a sand bag to anchor the rifle. Few guys get that 150 yds shot. My cap is off to those gunners who can reach out there and down wild game at long distances.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 09/19/17 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Caldwell shooting bag on the window seal and a pair of Bog Pog shooting sticks. Rock solid and you can leave your gun in a shooting position.
I like this idea
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 09/27/17 09:38 PM

Good idea
Posted By: DH3

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/02/17 10:31 PM

I just use a front bag rest on the shelf and brace my arm against the side of the blind. Almost as steady as a two bag rest at the firing range.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/02/17 10:42 PM

I'm like Quacker, I use the wrist pads for keyboards. Small and quiet. However, my longest shot is 160.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/04/17 04:37 AM

I am making bags from old rip-stop camo sleeves and aquarium gravel. Not a fan of leaky sand bags. Don't like the thought of sand getting in the action. May use bipod in combination.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/04/17 10:36 PM

Spare brown hospital socks sewn up with dust free kitty litter inside. Non slip side facing down. I keep 2 in each of my stands. Cheap to make and work just fine.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/06/17 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
Spare brown hospital socks sewn up with dust free kitty litter inside. Non slip side facing down. I keep 2 in each of my stands. Cheap to make and work just fine.

Last thing I wamt to see when I get in my stand is a Bobcat or Moutain lion takeing a dump on my shooting rest flush
Posted By: DodsonMc2

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/14/17 03:14 PM

I build these and keep one in every blind. Great for the kids as well.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/15/17 02:23 AM

I rarely get in a blind but when culling does I have taken a Caldwell Fieldpod Tripod in the blind for some longer shots and it works good.
Posted By: Jim Adams

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/15/17 03:05 AM

I use the bag on the window and take a 3" × 1/2" trim board and fasten it to the window ledge with a single 3/8" bolt and wing nut so it can pivot and cut it to proper length to rest my arm on.I place the board on the under side of the window ledge. That way I can move my office chair from side to side and cover about 85% of the area in front of the blind. I just turn it under the window ledge when I'm entering or leaving the blind. Use one for each window of wider blinds. Less than $10 for board, carriage bolt, wing nut and 2 big flat washers. Lowes and Home Depot carry the boards in their precut trim department.
Posted By: Paul W

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 10/27/17 02:56 PM

Nice setup!
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 11/09/17 09:03 PM

I keep my tower blind as small as possible. The walls are independent of each other and fit together, then screwed at the corners. 4' x 4' is ideal for me, making it very easy to shoot out of any window. I put shelves on the outside to rest sand bags on, leaving space inside. When shooting out left window, elbow rest is solid out front window. Shooting out of front, elbow rest is out right window. It gets kinda sticky shooting out the right window since I have a solid back wall with the door. So, I built this, a small hand rest. It's not as solid as an elbow rest but it works well. It's just enough.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 11/28/17 09:30 PM

Good idea ^^^^^
Posted By: Stretch4452

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 11/29/17 03:50 PM

This is what we came up with this year. A floor flange, piece of pipe and brackets. Works great and swings out of the way when you dont need it.
Posted By: djs303

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 12/15/17 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I use a two-legged trigger stick under the butt of my gun for long range shooting from a blind. Dog ear sand bag on the window ledge. Solid as a rock.

X2
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 01/14/18 05:05 AM

If your bind is big enough use a ironing board makes a great portable rest but stretch 4452 has a great idea also
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 01/16/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: djs303
Originally Posted By: fouzman

X2

Me too, easy , mobile and cheap
Posted By: emorydog

Re: DIY rifle rest for box blind - 02/26/18 02:19 PM

Like the hinged shelf with single stick
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum