Texas Hunting Forum

Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help!

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/20/17 09:38 PM

I have been given an elevated box blind that is made mostly from the scrap from a demolished car port. Aside from being ventilated because of the corrugations of the sheet metal which I need to seal up, the blind just makes a lot of noise. I was thinking of painting the walls and ceiling with truck bed liner or other rubberized coating to help quiet creaks and groans the metal seems to make (after sealing the holes. Does that sound reasonable? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/21/17 12:16 AM

I would say the pink foam insulation boards from Home Depot. The downside is a buddy of mine has a blind made of the same material and the bees get between the insulation and the aluminum. So if you go that route, you need to seal each cavity.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/21/17 02:10 AM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...ing#Post6578483

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/21/17 03:34 AM

Foam boards sound interesting. How are they attached to the walls, any idea?

Bear with me, this is all new to me...meaning that I haven't ever worked with such materials before.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/21/17 05:59 PM

I think he used sheet metal screws and a 1" washer. On mine, I used plain old drywall screws and 1" washers. However, the walls of my blind are made from a material called starboard and it's basically 1/4" thick plastic. For a 4x4 piece of foam, I think I used 3 screws on each perimeter side and a couple in the middle to snug it up.

It definitely cuts down the noise when my kids kick the wall or hit it with something. Add a piece of carpet or a rubber mat on the floor and it should quiet things down. I think you can get the rubber mats from tractor supply in the horse section. I got mine from Texas Hunter Supply when I bought my blind. I like the rubber matts better than carpet because we are always knocking drinks over and it's easier to clean up than carpet.

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/21/17 10:45 PM

Ah, I see. I am actually trying to quiet the resonance conveyed through the metal itself, dampening it.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/24/17 12:49 AM

For the floor you could try some of those 1" thick shop mats. TSC has them for about $39. 4x6 I think.
Posted By: HLo

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/24/17 02:40 AM

Foam fill seams where it attaches to the frame or caulk. Same where metal panel overlaps metal panel.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Quieting A Metal Box Blind - Help! - 03/27/17 08:43 PM

Whatever you choose to dampen sound, be sure to leave a can of wasp spray at the door and carry one with you. Bees/wasps just love to get in there and so far the only blinds I've been in that are totally wasp/bee free (if kept closed are Ranch King. can't beat the freebee though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum