Texas Hunting Forum

Corn Thief Problem (video)

Posted By: NateDogg

Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/19/17 07:04 PM

I was in a hurry to get setup this season and used a feeder pen already in place. It's a little small and I'll fix that this summer. The old tenant left the t-posts inside and my feeder just went over them. Obviously now I need to take those out. What are some good electric varmint guards or how can I make my cage electrified? He visited for almost a month straight usually averaging 4-7 hours a night.

Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/19/17 09:33 PM

I always have good results with 4" PVC pipe. Buy 10' piece cut in half = 5', place around the feeder legs. Some hunters tie the PVC up of the ground so they can swivel better, I never did still kept coons and squirrels off feeders. Must make sure your cage is high enough off ground so they can not do chin ups.
Posted By: HCRman

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/20/17 02:07 PM

You should look at this. It has a lot of advantages of cages and you can covert your feeder to a Stand and fill. http://www.hcrelectronics.com/fso.html
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/20/17 02:36 PM

I have always heard electric cages only work for a little while because of the calluses on their feet. One thing that I have had work are the dukes dog proof foot traps. Catch 3 or 4 of them and they get the message. They eat it but they don't climb on the feeder anymore.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/21/17 06:45 PM

I took other's advice using the PVC and it seems to be working well other than you need to use a pretty heavy gauge wire to insure it doesn't break. I bought a 10' long 4" PVC, sawzalled into 3 equal lengths of about 40", drilled a hole in one side about 3 inches from the end, ran wire thru and back up to the top of the feeder legs. bottom of the PVC is about 1.5' of the ground.

yep, need to remove those extra t-posts, just something else they can go up.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/23/17 07:08 PM

Al my feeders have 12" square varmint guards and they seem to work pretty well on all but one of them. The coons at that location have learned to reach through the wire and turn the spinner plate, just like in the video. I bought an 18" round varmint guard and will install it this weekend. My rationale is that the distance from the wire to the spinner plate will be 3" more than with the square varmint guard, hoping the coons can't reach that much further.

I like the square guards because they seem much stronger, but... Any experience/comments on the round ones?
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/24/17 02:41 AM

Maybe try some slinky's on the legs?
Ha ha! If you have seen the video with the squirrel and the slinky on the pole it seemed to work.
Posted By: HLo

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/24/17 02:45 AM

Spintech spinner or the eliminator is what we use. Works fine. They put them on road feeders as well. By the time you do PVC, Cage, Wire, etc. you can buy one and be done IMO. They pay for themselves in corn savings.
Posted By: NateDogg

Re: Corn Thief Problem (video) - 03/24/17 06:18 PM

Thanks guys, I'm definitely looking into these suggestions!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum