Texas Hunting Forum

Homemade cages around your automatic feeder

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/10/17 07:25 PM

Instead of purchasing the cages from Walmart or Academy for $25 bucks each, who builds their own homemade cages around their timers? I need to make 6 cages for 6 feeders. I'm not spending $150 bucks when perhaps I can put some sturdy fence wire or something else to keep the raccoons at bay.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/10/17 11:05 PM

I have built a few. I got the wire mesh either from Home Depot or Tractor Supply.
Easy to build.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/11/17 01:10 PM

I have built them out of 1 X 2" welded wire that I picked up at a farm and ranch suppy, It comes in various height's, I always like the 12". I got the crimping tool and fasteners for about 40.00. You will want to cut in a door to your timer so you don't have to lower or take the cage down to access the timer.
I will say this I am in the process of purchasing a couple of Eliminator plates. Years ago 25+ we did not have the problem with hogs that we have today. We installed them to keep the coons & squirrels out. It was a thrill the first time a hog showed up, however, I have noticed that the corn hits the cage and drops down under the feeder. The hogs come in, eat the corn and eventually create a wallow. I of course have winch feeders, so I don't have a problem having feeders undermined or turned over, however I don't like the wallow. In an attempt to raise the standard bar I am going to try the eliminator plate and see if it makes any difference.
If you don't have hog issues 1 X 2" welded wire attached under the barrel lip is the way to go. I think I sold 2-3 of the cages to some buddies and paid for everything, still had lots of material left over.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/11/17 01:21 PM

I build mine from shelving material from Home Depot.

Posted By: majekman

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/14/17 12:19 PM

Eliminator plate.....prob solved. No cages needed
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/15/17 02:57 AM

I made this with 1" x 2" wire. Cheap, pretty easy, and keeps raccoons and squirrels out of the feeder.

Posted By: DH3

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/28/17 12:22 AM

Bought mine at a Texas Trophy Hunters show for $14/ea
. Built my own feeders out of a 55 gallon drums using Magnum, windproof feeders. Note the PVC pipe on legs, the cages, pipe and leg traps keep my Coon problem away...
Posted By: Western

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/28/17 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: majekman
Eliminator plate.....prob solved. No cages needed
Posted By: tjshockler

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 01/30/17 12:51 PM

I build mine out or horse panel ! These are the last two I built !

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 02/24/17 05:14 PM

We tested this idea this past season. Had some galvanized pipe from an old chain link fence laying around. Placed the pipe over the feeder legs like a sleeve. The pipe would spin a little when the raccoons or squirrels tried to climb it and they would usually fall off.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 02/24/17 05:21 PM

Heres mine

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 02/24/17 05:25 PM

Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 02/28/17 09:44 PM

Get cheap Wire Storage Cubes

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p...CFQm5wAodvcsBwA
Posted By: BrianMc

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 03/01/17 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: YellowDog

Great idea!! I have a stack of these in a bedroom that were going to go to the curb soon... now I have a much better use for them!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Homemade cages around your automatic feeder - 05/29/17 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
I build mine from shelving material from Home Depot.

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum