Texas Hunting Forum

Tall/high feeder help

Posted By: Tripper Swift

Tall/high feeder help - 11/08/16 12:56 AM

I am starting to research our best options to put some feeders up that would need the electronics at least 10-12 feet high. Preferably we will have some sort of pullie system to make it easiest to fill. I have seen the outdoor logic portable limb systems. I think they are a little high but a pretty good idea. I'm thinking if I could pick up some old hang in stands and skinning pullies I could do something g like that. However only about half of our feeders are near trees. So if anybody had any experience with a tall tripod setup I'd love to hear about it. I know some of the tripod systems have pullies but I haven't seen any too tall but I'm just starting to look. Any help is appreciated.

If anyone is curious why I need this here is the story. We have 500 acres in the Trninity river bottom in Anderson county. There is an old pretty unknown branch of the Trinity that was probably where it use to run thousands of years ago. It is contained by a large levee on both sides and they run right trough the middle of our place. Generally with a lot of rain we get plenty muddy but don't flood much to speak of. Last year with all the rain, specifically Corsican getting 17" in a few hours in the middle
If October, it blew out several large holes in the levee on our place the Prison farm and several others. They are slowly being fixed but overall it's a couple millions of dollars worth of work. So at this point when the Yrinity is at minor flood stage in our area we are under water. I imagine it's a couple years before it's all fixed and it would be nice to still be able to have some options for feeders. Thank for any help
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Tall/high feeder help - 11/08/16 12:58 AM

Tripod with a hand crank boat winch wound with heavy cable.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tall/high feeder help - 11/08/16 12:59 AM

They make tripod feeders for guys that have bull elk on their ranches. Elk will tear up a feeder with their antlers. They are very tall feeders. I have seen them made out of 2 3/8" pipe and around 18'-20' tall IIRC. Heavy to set up but once they are up they are very solid.

Re: Tall/high feeder help - 11/08/16 05:06 PM

Thanks for the tips. I think I have an idea for the feeder close to trees. I'll try and lookup some elk feeders. The little I have found as far as tripod feeders haven't been tall enough but all keep looking.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tall/high feeder help - 11/08/16 05:12 PM

Its really simple to make a crank up feeder. Like LandPirate said pipe of the appropriate length a boat winch and a pulley from the hardware store. We also run a small chain around the legs about 1/2 way up to keep the legs from spreading out. Immagine never having to climb a ladder with feed, or worry about hogs or cattle tearing up your feeder again! Crank ups are all we use.

Re: Tall/high feeder help - 11/08/16 06:32 PM

Thanks redchevy. I like the idea of the chains halfway up to keep them from buckling
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum