Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Feeder School Project

Posted By: schoonnn

Deer Feeder School Project - 09/13/16 08:39 PM

Hey guys! I am a senior in high school and in my engineering class I am working on a year long capstone project. The goal of the project is to design something new or to improve a current design. My group's topic is deer feeders. We are currently trying to decide what part of feeders we should improve and although we all have our own opinions on what needs to be fixed/ improved from our personal experiences, we think the best way to really decide what needs fixing is getting more input from more people like y'all. Our question is: What part about current deer feeder designs do you think needs to be fixed? Any input you can provide will be super helpful to us! Thanks!
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/13/16 09:04 PM

welcome

Hi, Schoonnn. Welcome to the forum.

One feature that I know is available on higher end models is that of a solid construction stand and fill feeder. What I mean by solid construction is varmint and hog proof. Reliable spinner is always good too.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/13/16 09:14 PM

raccoon prevention ...
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/13/16 11:51 PM

Varmint proof spin plate, no clog funnel design or anti rub legs of some kind to keep the hogs off of them.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/14/16 10:38 AM

I use crank up feeders and I would like to see a better crank system. Perhaps a bigger spool with a higher gear ratio so it wouldn't so many turns to raise the drum.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/14/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
I use crank up feeders and I would like to see a better crank system. Perhaps a bigger spool with a higher gear ratio so it wouldn't so many turns to raise the drum.
inexpensive 12Vdc winch could help you out ...
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/15/16 12:24 AM

Here are some of the things I look at

Ease of loading corn
Durability against hogs
Protection from rodents
Long life
Usability of corn and protein
Weather resistance
Posted By: Big Scott

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/21/16 12:32 PM

Hi Schoonn, If you could give me a call I would like to discuss a feeder design we have to help eliminate all of the above issues. 337-515-3332 Scott
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/21/16 02:15 PM

The Judge feeder (made in Austin, sold by Cabelas )

have a lot of the features that you 'd want to incorporate
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 09/22/16 02:36 AM

I don't think his project is to build a good feeder. It's to innovate, and make a good feeder better.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 10/05/16 05:56 PM

The plate below the spinner should be angled downward so that no corn remains on it to invite critters to tear it up.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Deer Feeder School Project - 10/08/16 12:46 PM

Interesting project, as someone who builds and sells feeders I admire wisdom for asking these guys, after all they are the end user and the experts. I can tell you are still in high school, as someone who worked with engineers for many years, because the fist college engineer 101 teaches common sense is irrelevant. I think cleric pointed out some fine points. We also need to address damage by cows with mad cow disease and wild hawgs (stability), easy to transport or move short distances, part replacement (components), spinner design and last but not least varmint protection & affordability.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum