Texas Hunting Forum

Fiberglass or Metal Blind

Posted By: Sick Train

Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/06/16 10:21 PM

Shopping for a couple of new blinds and want something that will last for a very long time. Looking for a 5x5 or a little larger. I have no experience with fiberglass or metal blinds so what would you fellas recommend? Any pros and cons to fiberglass vs all metal? Not looking to build them anymore.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/06/16 10:45 PM

I've had both and I don't there's much difference. I hunt out of a 5x7 T-Box fiberglass blind nowadays.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/06/16 10:56 PM

There should be some folks that know how to work fiberglass well in Corpus. I'd try to find something local, in case you have any issues.

Believe it or not, if you take care of them and put in the solid inserts off-season, the plastic blinds made in San Antonio last a very, very long time. (PVF - the black plastic, now brown if you want, etc.) I have a couple. I still think they're the best value for the money. My main blind is a 4X6 fiberglass from Thurman's. They (she) used to post on here, but don't know if they're still around. (Palestine.)
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/06/16 11:59 PM

I just received a catalog from Natchez, has a plastic snap together blind 4x6x6.5 for $600 plus window kit $190. Might google it and read the specs, seems to be a good price. About $200 for material to build out of plywood plus paint plus Windows plus roof material plus labor plus tools that you don't have. Get the picture.

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
I've had both and I don't there's much difference. I hunt out of a 5x7 T-Box fiberglass blind nowadays.

How long have you had the T-Box blind?
Posted By: Dien

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 02:59 AM

Just bought my Tbox blind recently. Solid build but Windows aren't completely sealed so bugs can get in. Only one so far in 2 months though.

Fiberglass should last longer than longer, just may need color touch up.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 06:43 PM

Have had both, but personally I like Fiberglass. Metal is louder, even if carpeted (especially if you accidentally bump your rifle barrel on the internal frame or elsewhere). Metal will eventually rust. Metal is only sealed as well as it's fastened together. And, metal can get heavy.

The good Fiberglass blinds require minimal maintenance, seal up fully (with good windows), have nothing to rust or rot, are lighter, and are quieter. The kind I have (and sell) are built with an integrated 1" of insulation in the walls as well.

Just my $.02. I could have become a dealer for any of them, but chose fiberglass for the reasons above. Sick Train let me know if you want more info or pricing.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 07:36 PM

Fiberglass over metal by a large margin. They tend to be less maintenance over the long haul.

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
Have had both, but personally I like Fiberglass. Metal is louder, even if carpeted (especially if you accidentally bump your rifle barrel on the internal frame or elsewhere). Metal will eventually rust. Metal is only sealed as well as it's fastened together. And, metal can get heavy.

The good Fiberglass blinds require minimal maintenance, seal up fully (with good windows), have nothing to rust or rot, are lighter, and are quieter. The kind I have (and sell) are built with an integrated 1" of insulation in the walls as well.

Just my $.02. I could have become a dealer for any of them, but chose fiberglass for the reasons above. Sick Train let me know if you want more info or pricing.

I'd like more info TxAg. PM sent.
Posted By: 94 Sting

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 08:29 PM

After leasing for years I finally baught a small tract of land. I also wanted a long term blind & didn't want to build this one. After looking throughout the summer, I finally decided on a 5x7x10 metal Atascosa which I had delivererd & setup this past weekend. I really liked both fiberglass & metal & struggled to decide, finally picking one. Either would be MUCH better than the old wooden I have hunted in for years.
I can say I was very happy with the customer service & delivery/set-up (of course I paid for it). I had carpet installed up to the windows so hope it don't make to much noise down the road. I'm hoping it last yor a while.
Good luck!
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/07/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Sick Train

This will be the 3rd. season. No problems so far but I did have to run a small bead of silicone around one corner of a window to stop a small leak.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/09/16 12:51 AM

I bought two Dillon fiberglass blinds last year. Five and a half feet square. I already had two Dillon 4'x6' and I love the extra leg room in the 5.5 footers. Better doors ( critter proof ) and I had them made like I wanted instead of what the dealers stock. Tractor Supply stocks them but to get custom, you'll have to go through the dealer, then talk to the factory. I got mine from Crockett Feed and Fuel because it was closest to where I hunt. Good blinds !
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/09/16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sick Train

This will be the 3rd. season. No problems so far but I did have to run a small bead of silicone around one corner of a window to stop a small leak.

I had to do the same with my tbox.
Also will need to throw a coat of paint on it every few years.. I think the one major difference to me will be weight. Those atascosas are heavy.

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/12/16 09:36 PM

Thanks fellas for all the help. On the way back from Austin yesterday I stopped by Cabela's to kill some time and took a look at some Red Neck Blinds ant they seemed pretty good as well.
Posted By: JP4065

Re: Fiberglass or Metal Blind - 09/15/16 02:05 AM

I bought two from Texas Hunter Products in San Antone. One 10 ft stand with a swing door and one 5 foot stand with slide door. 4x8' with rubber mat on flooring and camo tinted slide windows.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum