Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Pen Fence 4' High

Posted By: Texmel

Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 08/25/16 09:05 PM

Been on lease 7 years and never had a real "problem" with hogs until this year. Hogs basically took over all feeders. Hope to solve that problem with raising feeder pen to 4'. At what age will deer be able to clear a 4' feeder pen. Concerned about the young deer being able to feed.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 08/25/16 09:30 PM

Just cut a couple of gaps 4-6 squares long and only cut the top box out.
Posted By: LReichardt

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 08/28/16 01:38 AM

yep, or use 1 short panel.
Posted By: AvianQuest

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 08/29/16 03:11 AM

Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 10/23/16 07:00 PM

Good video
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 10/23/16 07:09 PM

I used 50" tall cattle panels when rebuilding a round feeder pen. My problem was a bull kept jumping in, not hogs. I cut a window 4'-6' wide and to a 38" or so height in every other panel around the pen. Works fine and no more bull problems. The key to any feed pen with hogs or cattle is keeping all the corn inside the pen. So if your feeder throws in a 50' circle you need a 55' pen. It has only been up a year now so not sure about fawns but think they will be jumping in when they are 7 months old or older. I have yearling bucks/does in it last year and this year.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 10/24/16 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I used 50" tall cattle panels when rebuilding a round feeder pen. My problem was a bull kept jumping in, not hogs. I cut a window 4'-6' wide and to a 38" or so height in every other panel around the pen. Works fine and no more bull problems. The key to any feed pen with hogs or cattle is keeping all the corn inside the pen. So if your feeder throws in a 50' circle you need a 55' pen. It has only been up a year now so not sure about fawns but think they will be jumping in when they are 7 months old or older. I have yearling bucks/does in it last year and this year.

That's what always confused me with guys that insist on slinging feeders on high,...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 10/24/16 09:37 PM

Something else to consider, if you use cattle panels small hogs can still get in and will still screw up your hunting bang
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 10/27/16 10:03 PM

I have a 39" tall pen around my feeder and rarely have fawns inside
It has only been up a year now so not sure about fawns but think they will be jumping in when they are 7 months old or older. I have yearling bucks/does in it last year and this year.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 11/01/16 03:24 AM

I have 36" and have no cattle or pig issues.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Feeder Pen Fence 4' High - 11/01/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

That's what always confused me with guys that insist on slinging feeders on high,...

Spreads em out so the deer move around a little more and more deer can eat if you have a mature deer move in and take over the feeder.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum