Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone filter/screen their corn?

Posted By: jgc

Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/07/16 04:20 AM

Filled a couple feeders today. Think there must be an easier way. Been thinking of making a bulk box to lift with pallet forks-only bulk corn will be dirty. Any hints on screening it.

Put out a pallet of corn today. Pallet shifted so had to restack about 20 bags, plus dumping 40 bags takes forever (even if you don't have to lift them. Anyway, need to fill abut another ton of corn yet, so looking for options (plus will probably do this all again in a few months.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/08/16 08:42 PM

I'll be watching for any responses as I too will be filling feeders with about 2 1/2 tons corn. That's a lot of bags to lift. Thought about building a corn blower but I don't like the noise and it actually slower than 2-3 guys handing up bags and dumping.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/08/16 10:21 PM

A 2x4 frame with 1/2" mesh wire should get out the larger matter that your really wanting to avoid. Build it to fit the top of your "bulk box" to clean as you dump the corn into it. Will definitely slow the process though.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/08/16 11:06 PM

Won't the feed stores in the area bring out bulk corn and a hopper?
Posted By: cva34

Re: Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/09/16 01:19 PM

No I do not.. but there have been several times over the years (I wish I Had) some bag brand are cleaner than others..
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/10/16 04:37 PM

I bought 7 - 8 tons bulk straight out of the combine for several years. The trailer I used had a trap door at the back that was adjustable for flow, and I would run the corn through a framed screen. It took about a minute or so to screen and fill a 50 lb bag if there were two people doing it. One person was a huge PITA. I switched leases and don't use nearly as much corn as before, so now I buy it bagged. Mummies is the cleanest I've found.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Anyone filter/screen their corn? - 08/11/16 02:33 PM

For years I have wondered why these are not more popular..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpDVeXEeOdw

For you guys with tractors or other equipment with forks that can lift high enough, I believe this is the easiest way to fill feeders and if you don't have an over head storage hopper you could have the bulk corn brought to your place and fill as many bags as you want at a given time..... I think they hold 2,500lbs of corn per bag.

Just make a frame to both hold the bag while filling and a screen made of 1/2" wire mesh for the corn to go through as its filling into the bag and then you can have as many tons of corn ready to go pre screened.

Just use the forked equipment to lift it over the feeder and untie the knot at the bottom of the bag and when the feeder is full you can easily close the drop hole on the bottom of the bag and move onto the next feeder.

Word of advice though.... when your moving from feeder to feeder use zip ties to secure the knot tied in the bottom of the bag and simply cut and replace them after each feeder fill.

Buddy of mine had the dump knot come untied while driving around the back of his ranch and dropped 2,000lbs of corn in the middle of his road before he could get the tractor stopped.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum