Texas Hunting Forum

Sun Slinger

Posted By: 94sktr

Sun Slinger - 07/25/16 08:10 PM

American hunter sun slinger feeder motors. Has anyone had any experience with them?? Thanks
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Sun Slinger - 07/25/16 09:55 PM

More info.
Used them for years, keep solar panel clean(don't use anything but corn), twice a year put a little oil on spin shaft, don't leave up without it running take down in off season if not feeding corn.
Hard to put cage around except to wrap the bottom of barrel.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Sun Slinger - 07/29/16 04:22 AM

I've had one on a feeder for atleast 2 years. Run it all year without an issue. Dalee is right about the varmint cage. I had to build my own. My son in law runs one to without issues.
Posted By: Western

Re: Sun Slinger - 07/29/16 12:29 PM

I think it would be hard to beat them for the price. Last one I had lasted around 12 years. I recall one needing a new motor and it was around 8 years old, the lease member was able to get one in a couple days str8 from the manufacturer. As mentioned, you will need to make your own varmint guard, but that is just some wire and a few screws. I know of several that have lasted longer than mine did when I switched to 12v.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Sun Slinger - 07/29/16 04:10 PM

I was a huge proponent of them for the longest time, until it finally got to the point that I was always dinking with them every trip. If I went out after a few months and it was working fine, I was honestly surprised. I got to where I bought so many timer mechanisms that they started giving me dealer cost on them. The solar panel is largely ineffective, I had to replace the 6v battery once a year anyways. I went to The Timer, and hope to have a better experience with it.

Now, having said that, we do have 1 sunslinger on our property that has been flawless. Well, for the most part. We still change the 6v and the AA batteries once a year to be sure, but it's been going like a tank for years and years.

Me? I'll never buy another one.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Sun Slinger - 07/30/16 03:36 PM

I have a couple that are going on 4th deer season. Run them year round, clean the little solar panel once in a while and have had zero problems. One was spinning slow this last time so I put a little oil on the shaft, changed out the 6v for the first time and it is running like new. I only feed corn, they throw once a day for 3-6 seconds depending on time of year.
Posted By: waymond5414

Re: Sun Slinger - 08/05/16 12:16 AM

I had one for years good motor.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Sun Slinger - 08/05/16 06:18 PM

I had 2 and loved them. The only issue I ever had with mine were the clock would end up running slow even when reseting and changing the battery. With that said, I did not have that problem until I had them for 3 years. 1 ran for more than 6 years without issue. My other ran for almost 8. The only reason I do not run anymore is because I wanted a 12v.
Posted By: DANIEL32

Re: Sun Slinger - 08/05/16 07:57 PM

I own 2 of them and thus far have no complaints. Not the best unit but a darn good one

Well worth the money IMO.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum