Texas Hunting Forum

Drilling into rock?????

Posted By: Trout3006

Drilling into rock????? - 07/24/16 07:42 PM

Anyone know the best way how to drive tposts into rock?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/24/16 07:53 PM

Good luck on this quest. Only ways that I know of large air compressor with rock drill, generator with heavy duty hammer drill.
How many post holes needed?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/24/16 07:53 PM

Use an air drill first?

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/25/16 03:41 AM

Need 10

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/25/16 03:42 AM

Making a fence around feeder
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/25/16 02:58 PM

If the rock is solid a good option is to use a hammer drill with 1/2" bit, then use 1/2" rebar instead of a T-post. Once the rebar is driven into the hole it will be plenty solid. Been there.
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/25/16 03:16 PM

I built a fence around my camp using t-post earlier in the year. Used a hammer drill w/ a 1.5" bit. It takes awhile to drill the holes but you're only doing 10, so about an hour or so. After drilling, use a t-post driver to pop the t-post in, it should fit very tight. Push the dust from drilling back around the t-post. It will harden back up after a rain.

1/2" hole like TxAg is suggesting will be a lot faster. The 1.5" hole takes awhile to drill, trust me. I drilled between 40-50 of them and it took darn near all day.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/25/16 04:53 PM

Be sure to knock the plate off the Tpost before you try to drive it.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/26/16 06:07 PM

You asked if anyone knew the best way, so IMO it's get access to a skid loader or tractor and put a puffer bit on it.
It'll drill through solid rock and clean the dust out of the hole at the same time.
Takes about 5-10 minutes a hole.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 07/28/16 12:10 PM

I would try making a round pen out of panels, it will probably stand on its own without posts. If not there are pictures of some braces someone make on here for this purpose to set a pen on rock.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 08/01/16 11:34 AM

If you're only doing 10, the hammer drill will get it done. That's what I use at me place in Carta Valley
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 08/01/16 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I would try making a round pen out of panels, it will probably stand on its own without posts. If not there are pictures of some braces someone make on here for this purpose to set a pen on rock.

up This is the work smarter, not harder methodology. There are only a few reasons this wouldn't work. Would definitely try this first. Without the right equipment, getting Tposts in rock sux.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Drilling into rock????? - 08/01/16 02:48 PM

I have shape charged 1 lb tannerite to loosen things up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum