Texas Hunting Forum

Should I paint my feeder?

Posted By: Dien

Should I paint my feeder? - 06/11/16 01:40 PM

I picked up a couple of All Seasons Sf feeders from SDH this week.

I was wondering if it makes a difference to paint the feeder so it's not so shiny?

I.figure it stands out regardless of paint color.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/11/16 01:42 PM

Not necessary. Game won't care. And the sun will dull it out soon enough.
Posted By: hammer63

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/11/16 02:27 PM

As said, game isn't afraid of that shiny box...dropping delicious golden nuggets.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/11/16 02:34 PM

Personal preference. Game won't care, but I paint all my galvanized feeders just because I like them to blend with the landscape better. I don't like sitting in the stand, looking at a beautiful view, with a big silver box sticking out.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/11/16 03:02 PM

Paint doesn't like galvanized steel, it'll just end up flaking off and lookin ugly
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/11/16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Paint doesn't like galvanized steel, it'll just end up flaking off and lookin ugly

True, unless you etch it first. Wipe it down with white vinegar, then use a good metal primer and paint and it will last for years just fine.
Posted By: Western

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/12/16 12:58 PM

Yep, it can be painted and last along time when prepped right. Use a water based cleaner/de-greaser only to remove the protective oils, then treat it to remove the passivication (sp) in the surface with an acid etch, then rinse. Use an acrylic paint. We paint galvanized bollard pipe all the time, hate'm for the extra work.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/12/16 02:50 PM

Yea that's way too much work
Posted By: Dien

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/13/16 12:59 AM

Yea, not willing to do it right so out they went this morning in the nude right before the rain set in.
Posted By: Western

Re: Should I paint my feeder? - 06/13/16 01:50 PM

up If and when they do show some age and "white rust" residue, then you can refinish and bring them back to life.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum