Texas Hunting Forum

THE-TIMER problem Help please

Posted By: Upland007

THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 02:24 PM

We have lamco feeders with The-timers on all of them. What causes this timer to just click whenever if is supposed to be running? When I push the test button, it counts down and as soon as it hits 0 it clicks on the run countdown... It doesnt spin the motor.

I tested it on a different feeder and the timer works fine... Its either a bad motor or bad battery but without replacing both how can I tell???

Thanks,
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 02:27 PM

Try reversing the positive and negative to the motor.
Posted By: Western

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 03:21 PM

I'd try the battery from the feeder it worked in.
Posted By: bholt

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 09:00 PM

Don't have a "the timer" but had the same problem a few years back. In my expert opinion your battery is bad. Mine was several years old and just ran out of amps. I had a solar panel on it and it showed 12 volts but would not turn the spinner. Depending on how far your lease/ranch is away here is what I would do.
1. Get a new battery, they don't cost that much and spares is a good thing.
2. Get a volt meter and learn the basics of how it works. Electricity is like water it flows and by t
tracings it's flow you can diagnosis problems.
3. You said you tested the timer on a different feeder and the timer worked fine, take a battery from
the other feeder and connect it to the problem feeder I think you will find it works good.
4. Last but not least make sure you have good connections. I have found many problems over the years
that are a result of a flimsy connected or loosely connected spade. Corrosion can also interrupt the
flow of current, and if your timer uses AA batteries make sure you change them yearly. Hope this
helps.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 09:15 PM

Agree with Bholt, sounds like a bad battery.

"The Timer" uses an internal battery backup, so it will still operate and save your settings even when the primary feeder battery is too weak to spin the motor. The clicking you are hearing is the motor receiving voltage, but it's not enough to turn.

Does your feeder have a solar panel? If so, make sure the connections are tight and the panel is clean. Check the voltage coming off the panel. Should be around 14 or so. If it's below 13 it's not charging anymore. Should be replaced.

Good news is a new feeder battery should have you up and running. If the existing battery wasn't run down too low it can probably be recharged and kept as a spare.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 09:28 PM

Probably the battery is shot but make sure the lead from the motor to the timer is plugged in good and the wires to the motor aren't cut or loose.

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 09:54 PM

It was a combination of bad battery and connections... cleaned up the positive wires and hooked it up to a 12volt battery and it worked fine.

thanks for the quick responses!!!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/15/16 11:06 PM

I just had to replace a motor on one of my feeders, a 12V. Was super simple and took all of about 5 minutes and that was my first time ever to do that.

Doesn't the timer have a battery level indicator on it? I have one timer and one other brand and I don't remember if the timer one shows battery level or not. Either way, easy fix if you just do it in a step wise manner. Check battery first, then motor. Glad you got it running with just a battery, they are cheaper than a good motor.

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/16/16 12:51 AM

Yes, The-Timer does have a battery level indicator, it actually has 2 that is why I did not notice the battery was bad. The top one is the back-up battery that is inside (the-timer) the bottom is the actual battery you are connected too.. Now that I know this it will be much easier to know what I need to do.

Thanks,
Posted By: rabbit_jack

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 05/16/16 04:17 PM

Another thing to remember about The Timer is not only does it run on an AA battery, but it also has a glass fuse. I believe it is a 2 amp fuse. And... The Timer has a 5 year warranty if you do have one go bad.
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 06/11/16 02:18 AM

Most likely the battery. I don't think the AA internal battery will ever go out. They have been in mine for about 6 years. Just seeing how long they will last now
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 07/02/16 07:04 PM

Odds are battery. Mine did the same.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: THE-TIMER problem Help please - 07/13/16 06:54 PM

Bad battery for sure. Had the same thing happen with my "The Timer".....replaced the battery and it worked like a charm.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum