Texas Hunting Forum

Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP

Posted By: TxHillCntry21

Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 11:47 AM

Headed to the lease this wknd to set up the new blind I built. 4x6 blind with a leg box on front. 6x6 platform base. Plan to put on 8ft legs. Looking for the best way to anchor the tower down. My problem is where I plan to stand it up is in the Hill Country on a ridge, lots of granite, so not sure how i'll be getting an auger down very far. Any suggestions before I tackle this project.
Posted By: therock

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 12:01 PM

I just use rebar and drive it as deep as possible. Try to find a crack in the rock and the rebar will follow the crack. Put in as many as it takes to make you feel that it's secure. Sure easier than having to use rock drills !
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 01:15 PM

Someone on here got a shopping cart, placed it underneath the blind and filled it with rocks. Then used steel cables at all four corners to secure it to the underside.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 01:40 PM

If the granite is hard enough, anchor bolts set in the rock with cables and turn buckles work very well.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 02:24 PM

any trees nearby that you can attach heavy wire/cable to for wind stability?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
If the granite is hard enough, anchor bolts set in the rock with cables and turn buckles work very well.

X2

Hammer drill and some concrete anchors would bee good.
Posted By: TxHillCntry21

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 03:02 PM

was thinking of guide wires connected to trees, not sure of exact location but still might be an issue. Also though about cutting the top out of a tree and standing the tower over top of it. Then anchoring form the 4 corners of the platform, down to the middle in the stump.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 03:07 PM

Several ways. Hammer drill with concrete bit, tap cons , could use cut pieces of all thread and epoxy, hammer drill with 12" long x 5/8" concrete bit epoxy and rebar. You don't have to go real deep using the epoxy (Home Depot or Lowes, Ace Hardware). Use a thread eye hook in hole with epoxy.
Hope ideas help.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 08:53 PM

You can tie the blind down to any green bush, small tree etc. Be sure its still green! Guide wires from the four corners of the blind down to small trees and brush will hold it down in high winds.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/25/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Several ways. Hammer drill with concrete bit, tap cons , could use cut pieces of all thread and epoxy, hammer drill with 12" long x 5/8" concrete bit epoxy and rebar. You don't have to go real deep using the epoxy (Home Depot or Lowes, Ace Hardware). Use a thread eye hook in hole with epoxy.
Hope ideas help.

That sounds exhausting

You can take two cattle panels and bend them into a box, or we've build some 4'x4'x1' boxes with expanded metal with a chain in the middle. Fill it up with rocks or sacrete bags.
Posted By: Upland007

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 04/30/16 02:10 AM

I would anchor to trees nearby or to the rock as suggested in other posts.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 05/02/16 11:50 PM

We had a lease in West Texas and faced the same challange as you did. Our solution was to buy a 52"x16' cattle panel (looks like hog wire), cut it into 5 pieces, leaving 8" long wire tines on one end of 4 pieces, used the square with no tines as the floor of the basket, heated the tines with a map gas torch and bent them around the floor piece, stood the 4 side pieces up and connected them with cable clamps then filled this basket up with rocks. Rocks are one thing we have plenty of in West Texas. I then put a U-shaped shackle on each corner of the basket and ran my cables from the shackles to the eye bolts at the top of the tower legs. We must have well over 600 pounds of rocks in the basket.

This was our solution.

Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 06/05/16 10:05 PM

I had my stands and tripods blow over several times tried anchoring with cables NG. I now drive T Post in about 2.5 feet at each corner and drive in heavy nail at each t post and wrap wire arround T post and nail no more problems
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Setting up a Tower Blind, HELP - 06/07/16 04:07 PM

We'll be setting up a couple tower blinds later this month. Has anybody tried using a set up that I have seen at some stand dealers in NW TX where they have taken 55 gal drums w/ open top, welded a 4-6" pipe or square steel tubing across the open top diameter leaving about 3-4 inches each side, place drum under stand, fill with rocks, sac-crete, water and place an auger ring or something to use as a tie down hook. Let it set up and then take a ratchet or
come-along and bind it down from bottom of your stand/riser to the tie-down you cemented in the barrel?

I've seen straight line winds blow over tower stands that were cable tied down from each corner to T posts driven deep into the rock ground. I've seen them also pull up green trees/bushes. Some really strong West TX winds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum