Texas Hunting Forum

What should I check next?

Posted By: kmkellar

What should I check next? - 03/19/16 09:09 PM

Having originally purchased some cheap all-in-one feeder motor packages, I sat in the blind lots of times only to have the feeders not go off. On the recommendation of a few here and elsewhere, I upgraded all my timers to "The Timer" in January. All seemed well for a while. This weekend I sat in the blind hoping to land some pork and low and behold the feeder didn't throw. I checked the other feeders and only 2 out of 5 had thrown. They are all set correctly, and throw when I hit test, so I know the motors are good. What could be the problem? I'm getting FRUSTRATED!
Posted By: TUFBOY

Re: What should I check next? - 03/19/16 09:56 PM

I would reset the motor to go off so I could see what happens in doing so you can check the timer itself.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What should I check next? - 03/20/16 02:35 AM

Are you feeder motors large/small 12v or 6v?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: What should I check next? - 03/20/16 02:44 AM

Might put a volt meter on the battery, if that is good then double check wiring and connections.
The Timer is a good product but that does not mean there is not a defect.

Re: What should I check next? - 03/20/16 12:32 PM

Stx - they're 6v. I know, I know, I should be using 12's. But they throw when I hit test, so I know they work, they're just not throwing at their programmed times.
Posted By: spg

Re: What should I check next? - 03/20/16 01:16 PM

Make sure you got your AM/PM right. You might be feeding at night and don't know it. A former member of ours had the same problem and I discovered he had the time bassackwards AM was PM and PM was AM so the feed times were 12 hours off.

Re: What should I check next? - 03/20/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: kmkellar
Stx - they're 6v. I know, I know, I should be using 12's. But they throw when I hit test, so I know they work, they're just not throwing at their programmed times.

No problem with using a 6v, but are your timers 6v also was my question? I have seen guys buy timers that did not match the motor and then have issues.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What should I check next? - 03/28/16 07:36 PM

Many of the timers will work on either 6 or 12.

I have used texas hunter timers for a while and they work on 6v or 12v, on 6 volt they are very picky about having a fully charged battery. The battery can read 6 volt and it will do what you describe because a hot battery is over 6.0 volts.

Make sure battery is completely charged and re-check.
Posted By: pkfergy

Re: What should I check next? - 04/05/16 06:35 AM

Switch to 12v for "the timer"... Running mine for 6 years now. Just makes sense.
Posted By: rabbit_jack

Re: What should I check next? - 04/05/16 04:50 PM

I use "The Timer" on quite a few feeders. They are very reliable and are compatible with a 6 volt or 12 volt setup. As stated above, make sure you have your AM and PM correct. Also make sure you have a motor run time set for each feed time and that it is not set on zero. The test feature has it's own motor run time.

Re: What should I check next? - 04/05/16 09:30 PM

Well last weekend I went to each feeder, double checked all the timers for AM/PM. They were all correct, run times were set correct, batteries were all charged. So I set all of them to go off a few minutes away from current time and they all went off fine. Went back the next morning and the one I was sitting on didn't throw.

bang
Posted By: Western

Re: What should I check next? - 04/05/16 10:27 PM

Wonder if it is some kind of atmospheric problem with the timer unit themselves (condensation??), they still have the lifetime guarantee?? May be time to call them.

Re: What should I check next? - 04/05/16 11:08 PM

They have a 5 yr warranty, send it back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum