Texas Hunting Forum

New Texas Cedar Blind

Posted By: DrifterAT

New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/10/16 05:37 PM

I recently purchased a 4x6 box blind from Brad at Texas Cedar Blinds

See below THF post.

Post 6175610

I increased the leg elevation from 4’ to 6’, added a cedar shelf across the front window, added treated plywood roof underlay, sealed the cedar exterior, and added a keyed entry handle.

I made the drive from Austin to Sealy to pick it up last week on Friday. When I arrived, Brad had the walls and roof on a 4ft platform. He took me through the standup and takedown of the frame, door, windows, and elevation legs. He provided wood screws, bits, and holes were predrilled. It was an excellent overview of the standup.

We then proceeded to load the parts on my F250 short bed and I headed back Austin where one of my hunting buds joined me. We left for my San Saba lease to put the box together Saturday morning.

I ran into a couple of cockpit errors but all proceeded as Brad had instructed the day before. I had trouble with the roof but after a while realized I needed to loosen up the 4 walls in order to drop the roof in its place for proper securing. I setup the box on a 40 acre food plot with a heavy a tree line.

Box looks great, is very stable, and the cedar smells good!

Thanks Brad!

Posted By: StretchR

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/10/16 06:24 PM

Looks really good. Since you sealed the exterior, are you going to try to keep the cedar color or let it grey naturally with the weather? How heavy is the blind itself?

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/10/16 06:31 PM

I like the cedar natural color so hope the sealant will retain the color much longer. I'll watch for fading and maybe do another sealant coat down the road. No idea how heavy the blind is but it takes two men to get each wall up the platform.

Perhaps Brad can provide a weight estimate.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/11/16 04:38 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: Western

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/11/16 11:20 PM

Sharp looking blind, and I sure wouldn't be opposed to smelling cedar all day up
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/12/16 03:49 PM

That's a great looking blind.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/13/16 03:38 PM

does it attract bees and wasps? I can't keep them away from the blind I made out of particleboard

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/15/16 10:05 PM

I'll let you know about wasps and bees as the temperature increases. I have two plywood blinds I can compare with.
Posted By: Mossman500

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/17/16 12:56 AM

Been thinking of getting a couple....what was your final cost?

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/22/16 08:49 PM

Mossman500 - I sent you a PM
Posted By: Brad in Sealy

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/28/16 04:43 PM

Thanks for posting the pics. The blind looks great.

I still have one more at a sale price of $950. 6x4 on a 4' tower.

Brad
www.TexasCedarBlinds.com
Posted By: LandAgent

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/29/16 03:31 AM

Can you do these cedar blinds with vertical windows for bow?
Posted By: HCRman

Re: New Texas Cedar Blind - 03/30/16 12:55 AM

Very cool
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum