Texas Hunting Forum

Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind.

Posted By: Stevarino

Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 02/29/16 03:35 PM

Blind is only 2 years old but have a slow leak somewhere, and can't locate. After a heavy rain, I'll have standing water on the floor until it evaporates. No noticeable holes, and confirmed its not coming in from the windows, so looking to put a coat or 2 on it this weekend. What should I grab at lowes? Anything special for fiberglass?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 02/29/16 05:25 PM

Why don't you stand inside and have someone pour a few gallons of water over the blind? I would get a paint made for outdoor fiberglass and put as many coats as you can
Posted By: 30378

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 02/29/16 05:45 PM

Rustoleum makes a gallon can of truck bed liner. Worked great for mine.

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 02/29/16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Why don't you stand inside and have someone pour a few gallons of water over the blind? I would get a paint made for outdoor fiberglass and put as many coats as you can

I've already sat inside on a few rainy days. It's seeping in and running down the walls, but not real noticable until it reaches the floor.

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 02/29/16 07:12 PM

You need some caulk or something. I'd be pissed if I spent the money on a fiberglass blind and it was leaking after two seasons

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/01/16 01:18 AM

any other suggestions? Lowes told me anything they carry would peel after a year or two.

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/01/16 05:45 PM

Bunp
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/01/16 08:05 PM

Talk to a body shop, they could give suggestions about paint and sealants.

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/01/16 11:29 PM

I would have to imagine a good marine fiberglass paint for boats would be best
Posted By: Sherpa Dog

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/02/16 02:49 AM

I have the same problem with a T-Box blind.. You can cut 2 R-panels about 34" & re roof your blind with an overhang for raindrip, then put a ridge cap down the middle. Put liquid nails on the bottom where you screw straight through the fiberglass & place 1x4's on the inside of ceiling for the screw support. This should take care of rain seeping through the roof & keep it off some of the side. Hopefully yours is not 20' in the air like mine is...

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/02/16 05:26 PM

^ hoping I can find a paint to seal and not go through all of that.. Yikes.. And no, it's only on a 5' base. I spoke with tbox yesterday and they recommended going to ace and looking for a BCP Mobil paint, or Sherman Williams. I will add they were very concerned and asked where and how long ago I purchased and to keep them updated.
I'm not expecting them to do anything, but they did seem legitimately concerned. They probably don't hear much after selling to dealers..
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/03/16 07:30 PM

Tractor Supply sells asphalt fence paint that is very durable. It's black and could be used to cover the roof of your blind.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Paint recommendations for fiberglass blind. - 03/20/16 04:12 PM

Go to a pool supply house and buy gel coat. This is the stuff used to resurface in ground fiberglass pools. Obviously waterproof!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum