Texas Hunting Forum

How many blinds & feeders to use

Posted By: bigjoe8565

How many blinds & feeders to use - 01/08/16 03:04 AM

I'm doubling the amount of acreage I lease next year due to another lessee leaving. Currently we both have one blind and feeder in our locations. This past year we had some of the same deer visiting our feeders, but some of our better bucks didn't visit both areas.

Question is do I leave both blinds/feeders up, or remove one and hope it forces more deer to my current feeder location. I also have a 100 acre wheat field adjacent to my section with no blind. Thoughts are is to run one feeder pen and put a blind up edge of the wheat field. I'm going from 200 acres to roughly 400 in my section.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: How many blinds & feeders to use - 01/08/16 03:57 AM

Habitat and terrain would play more of a factor in blind/feeder location. IMO
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How many blinds & feeders to use - 01/08/16 04:47 AM

It is a tough call for me. I like to have options to hunt different winds and cover. Then you get into the issue of having to many choices to hunt. I ran into this very situation this year when a buck I liked was using two different blind/feeders. I was hunting a 3rd blind/feeder that has always had more deer and some really good bucks at it. It seemed like I would make a choice to hunt and the buck would be at the other blind or not show up at all that day. This year I am taking one feeder and moving it closer to another blind/feeder. I will only have to blinds/feeder setup to choose from next year. One will have two feeders and two oat plots the other will have one feeder and oats plot.
I would take several TC cams and put them out now to see how and where deer are moving. I would opt for one good blind location and maybe multiple feeder locations that will allow you to hunt north winds and prevailing southeast/south type winds.
Posted By: DH3

Re: How many blinds & feeders to use - 01/08/16 09:25 PM

With only one blind and feeder, you risk the deer "patterning' Your hunting and disappearing completely. Instead I would ADD a blind or two and rotate my hunting according to the wind/weather.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum