Texas Hunting Forum

what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up?

Posted By: tonyguitarguy

what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/02/15 10:02 PM

I'm building a 4x8 wood blind that will stand on 12 ft posts. I plan to dig the posts 3 feet deep. For convenience, I'd rather build at home then travel it on my trailer to my spot and lift it up somehow. How can I do this? With ropes? Tractor pull?

I'm not opposed to building from the ground up, I just wouldn't rather spend all day there building and god forbid I forget something needed to complete the build.

Which do y'all prefer?
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/03/15 12:07 AM

Easiest one we did was by renting a Gradall rough terrain forklift. It was expensive, but it turned an all day stress fest into a 30 minute job.

Another way is to tilt it up as far as possible with a tractor, and then pull it the rest of the way up with a truck.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/03/15 12:17 AM

Build it in sections to erect on site. Build the base and erect. Build the walls in sections to handle with ropes and pull up put together, build roof section.
I built one so that just I could erect, on 10' base.
Posted By: Western

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/03/15 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Build it in sections to erect on site. Build the base and erect. Build the walls in sections to handle with ropes and pull up put together, build roof section.
I built one so that just I could erect, on 10' base.

I did this on mine, base is 14'. Used the tractor bucket to lift the walls up and built the roof in place once the walls where secure. Took only about 3 hrs by myself. Spent about the same amount of time building the walls on the shop slab. My blind is 8'x'8. Getting the 1st 2 walls standing was the nightmare.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/03/15 01:52 AM

If you have one of these around you are in good shape. The guy building our barn lets us borrow it. We had the blind up and returned the lift before they got back from lunch.
We generally build the blind on the ground and lean it up with the tractor, Bobcat or the ranch truck. We have done this on 8-12 foot towers.

Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/04/15 11:10 PM

Built mine at home in garage, rather ambitious 8'X12'. Pre-painted walls and hauled to site via trailer. Built platform then hoisted wall sections up with ATV winch. Ours is much higher than most, 25' from ground to the floor.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/04/15 11:41 PM

Great looking blind and like the size, but I ain't seeing 25' from ground to floor unless that guy standing next to the ladder is 9' tall. 25' to the roof I can see but not to the floor.
Posted By: Western

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/04/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Great looking blind and like the size, but I ain't seeing 25' from ground to floor unless that guy standing next to the ladder is 9' tall. 25' to the roof I can see but not to the floor.

Has to be to the roof?
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/04/15 11:56 PM

Oooops, typo....it's 20' to floor not 25.
Posted By: nak

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/05/15 04:20 AM

Most of mine have been 4x4 or 4x6 and only 8 - 10 feet off the ground. I build them and move the whole thing with the front end loader of my tractor.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/07/15 06:40 PM

Thats a 12' ladder, 15' to the floor. Still a nice house blind
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/07/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Rembrandt
Oooops, typo....it's 20' to floor not 25.

I counted the steps on the ladder when I made the first post. I still only see 15' to bottom. If that is 20', then that must be Andre the Giant moving the ladder.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/08/15 02:34 AM

We always raised our blinds with towstraps and 2 trucks.

One keeps tension at the legs while the other pulls from the top. We use a ladder to raise the pull point. Kind of redneck, but always worked for me and doesn't require rentals or stress.
Posted By: jgc

Re: what's your preference on blind build: lift up as a whole or build from ground up? - 11/09/15 04:18 PM

Did not take pictures of my last raising - but pallet forks and a 12' lift makes life easy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum