Texas Hunting Forum

stand and fill

Posted By: huntindude

stand and fill - 09/25/15 02:00 PM

Are they the new wave? Do they throw/sling the corn like taller feeders. I am on the shorter side and would love to stand and fill. Just need a little more info about the feeders. Can anybody help me out here?
thanks
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: stand and fill - 09/25/15 02:29 PM

They do not throw corn quite as far as the taller feeders. I just cut the legs off on my standard feeder so I can stand on the back of my Ranger and pour corn into it without a ladder. Works great and still throws corn about 25' away from my feeder in all directions.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: stand and fill - 09/25/15 03:12 PM

As someone who both builds my own line of stand n' fills and carries those made by others I will say I am getting more and more inquiries for them. People like the safety, convenience, stability, and varmint resistance of them.

They will chunk corn plenty far. And, if max range is a concern, there are a few tricks that can be put in place to maximize the throw range.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: stand and fill - 09/25/15 08:29 PM

TxAg, how do they stand up against hogs? Do you recommend them be fenced? All my feeders are fenced in, but not hog proof only cow proof.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: stand and fill - 09/25/15 09:07 PM

We have 11 of the all seasons stand and fill's and they work great. Throws corn plenty far enough and will with stand the hog issues.
Posted By: mikey2

Re: stand and fill - 09/25/15 10:54 PM

I've been using the oldtimer from texas wildlife supply in brady for years they are great no fence around them and we run cattle and have plenty of hogs. I highly recommend them.
Posted By: postoak

Re: stand and fill - 09/25/15 11:20 PM

Why would a lower feeder be more resistant to cattle and hogs? It seems like you would need a pen regardless.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: stand and fill - 09/26/15 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Why would a lower feeder be more resistant to cattle and hogs? It seems like you would need a pen regardless.

Lower center of gravity. Our 55 gallon stand and fills are pretty resistant to tipping even when empty. The 600 lb'ers I'm not sure a hog could do it if he tried.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: stand and fill - 09/26/15 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

Lower center of gravity. Our 55 gallon stand and fills are pretty resistant to tipping even when empty. The 600 lb'ers I'm not sure a hog could do it if he tried.

Yep, and most are built on skids. This means there are no legs to be pulled out of brackets or bent.

And, with an integral heavy cage there is little risk of damage to the motor timer.

Huntindude-You can run them without a pen if you don't mind hogs eating the feed. Not much they can do due to hurt them, especially if staked down.
Posted By: postoak

Re: stand and fill - 09/26/15 02:08 PM

If anybody is still reading this, how would you compare/contrast these with gravity feed type feeders?

Re: stand and fill - 09/26/15 03:17 PM

If anybody is still reading this, how would you compare/contrast these with gravity feed type feeders?

That's really an apples to oranges comparison IMO.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: stand and fill - 09/27/15 02:56 PM

All season stand and fill is the only way to go IMO. I have really enjoyed them so far and will be the first to highlight any shortcomings
Posted By: STXHO

Re: stand and fill - 01/06/16 04:13 AM

I have several of the all season stand/fill feeders and have not had any issues. They can handle cows, hogs, axis, and deer. Great feeder for the $.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: stand and fill - 01/06/16 06:36 AM

Lower center of gravity. Not as easy to turn over.

Fewer operator injuries. No ladder to fall off of.

Rambal makes cradle for 55 gallon drums to sit on. I have bought a few and the results are good all around.

Here is a picture of a pen the cows tore up but the feeder is still up right and working.

Re: stand and fill - 01/06/16 12:33 PM

That's a sweet pic Mark
Posted By: RS Thomas

Re: stand and fill - 01/06/16 10:03 PM

Alamo Wildlife Feeders. The one in the picture is the 1,000 lb. version. Several members on the forum have bought the 450 lb. version and are happy with them. If you have any questions I would be more than glad to answer them for you. You can also look at the Classified section under Alamo feeders for more pictures.

Rodger
Posted By: svbubba

Re: stand and fill - 01/06/16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: RS Thomas

Alamo Wildlife Feeders. The one in the picture is the 1,000 lb. version. Several members on the forum have bought the 450 lb. version and are happy with them. If you have any questions I would be more than glad to answer them for you. You can also look at the Classified section under Alamo feeders for more pictures.

Rodger
I have one of rodger's #450 ...Very High Quality built feeder, I looked at a lot of stand-fill feeders from top to bottom I made the right choice with Alamo feeder ...roger and randy will bend over backwards to make there feeder work for you....if any problems ...you will be happy with this feeder......
Posted By: passthru

Re: stand and fill - 01/07/16 02:26 AM

My 600lb AS feeder has had no problem standing up to hogs. No pen. Just curious how it will handle the cow being put in this week.
Posted By: ckat

Re: stand and fill - 01/07/16 05:36 AM

So far, we have had no problems with coons, cows, pigs, or anything else. From now on, I am a stand and fill man.

Posted By: Big Scott

Re: stand and fill - 06/17/16 08:54 PM

We have built a GROUND fill feeder and it is actually 60" to top of feeder. We have field tested for 1 year and have several pictures of animals trying to access with no luck. If you would like more info please drop me a note.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: stand and fill - 06/19/16 12:59 PM

Best one I have found is built in San angelo. Heavy duty plate under bottom. I have hogs and cows with no pens and no issues. Stake down and forget about it. Truly a low feeder easy to fill.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum