Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder hole

Posted By: ELKMTB

Feeder hole - 09/19/15 03:36 PM

How big is the hole in the bottom of a feeder to let the corn out? Had to get a new barrel.Cows knocked mine over when it was full so it is D shaped.
Posted By: ELKMTB

Re: Feeder hole - 09/19/15 03:52 PM

Also anyone ever had a shot deflect from hitting cow panel?
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Feeder hole - 09/19/15 04:06 PM

2 1/8 or 2 1/4 most likely
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Feeder hole - 09/19/15 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ELKMTB

Your will deflect somewhat if you hit anything (metal, grass, limb, etc.) Make sure your shot is 100% clear at all times before shooting.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Feeder hole - 09/19/15 04:52 PM

The hole needs to be large enough for the funnel to fit flush to the bottom of the barrel. But small enough to leave enough metal for the keeper screw to bite.

Just measure the funnel...
Posted By: swmays

Re: Feeder hole - 09/19/15 04:54 PM

I cut the holes with a door knob hole cutter on a drill motor.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Feeder hole - 09/19/15 05:39 PM

My father-in-law was shooting at a doe in my pen last year and shot the top strand of barbed wire in half.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Feeder hole - 09/21/15 12:49 PM

I build winch feeders and I use a 2 1/8th inch hole saw for the funnel to fit through, never had any issues.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Feeder hole - 09/21/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: texashelms
Originally Posted By: ELKMTB

Your will deflect somewhat if you hit anything (metal, grass, limb, etc.) Make sure your shot is 100% clear at all times before shooting.

Yup. I would advise to not shoot one...

Posted By: nak

Re: Feeder hole - 09/27/15 01:19 AM

I'd been sitting for the second night in a row and seeing NOTHING showing up at either feeder. I was thinking about packing it in. My feeders are staked down with T'posts, to keep the pigs from knocking them over or shaking corn out. As I started to pack up and get ready to close up the blind, I had a wild though about the zero on my rifle...well that white top on the T'post stands out, even at 100 yards. I squeeze off a shot and everything goes dark at the feeder. My zero and my aim were dead on...the cheap steel of the t'post shattered instead of deforming and the tip of the T'post went completely through my feeder light. bang Not my best moment.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum