Texas Hunting Forum

Need some help and opinion on feeder timers

Posted By: sunsetroosters

Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/12/15 08:44 PM

I need to build 3 more and I have been using boss buck 12v and love them but I am on a strict budget and don't have a lot of money to spend. Any suggestions???
Posted By: kry226

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/13/15 06:10 AM

I've also used the Boss Buck timers for five years now without any issues. But I think most folks here will point you to The Timer. And while I understand budgetary constraints, you're not really saving a lot by going with a cheaper timer.

The Timer is about $70; the Boss Buck is $45, and I see Mummes has the All Seasons and Moultrie for about $30. https://shop.mummesinc.com/products/all-seasons-feeders-digital-timer-176.html

I would probably go with the All Seasons if you're money is tight.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/13/15 02:32 PM

All seasons
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/13/15 02:38 PM

you can get just about any kind and make them last a long time.. trick is how they are kept... clean connections, dry box, good charged battery.. ill bring mine in every seasons end also and clean them up. I been getting the $20 one from walmart and they work great
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/13/15 02:38 PM

think its game winner brand
Posted By: shightower

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/13/15 09:44 PM

I can not recommend Moultre. Buying them has defeated the purpose of having one.
I've purchased two that I can not rely on to feed.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/14/15 02:55 AM

The Timer is worth the money and easiest to operate IMO
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/14/15 06:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I don't know where you got the boss buck for 45$ but mine were over 100$ a piece but I have 12v with solar panels
Posted By: bholt

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/14/15 09:18 PM

The Timer is very good and cost on average $65.00. Since budget is an issue Buy one THE TIMER then two of the academy $30.00 moultrie.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/15/15 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
Thanks for the help guys. I don't know where you got the boss buck for 45$ but mine were over 100$ a piece but I have 12v with solar panels

https://bossbuck.com/product/timers-6v12v76.html confused2

Are you talking about the "timer", or the entire feeder control box? The box, motor, timer, battery, and solar panel will surely run you over $100.

Pretty sure everyone here thinks you're just talking about the "timer" part, which for the Boss Buck is both 6v and 12v, and $45.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/15/15 03:54 PM

"The Timer" Just one less thing to worry about.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Need some help and opinion on feeder timers - 09/15/15 07:17 PM

Motor-timer units are best treated as a "cry once" decision. There are few things worse than spending all the time, money, and sweat to get ready for hunting season just to find some of your equipment has crapped out due to trying to save a little.

In my humble opinion, if I was you I would build one or two of your feeders with good stuff (12V units with "the Timer" and integrated solar panels), then hold off on the other until the fun money builds back up a little.

If that approach is not an option, I have heard good things about the Sun Slinger, but have no personal experience. I have had negative experience with several other "cheap" brands.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum