Texas Hunting Forum

Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question..

Posted By: Western

Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 12:48 AM

Thinking about a 12v system for my next feeder, mostly for spin range. For you fellas that run 12v and use an eliminator spinner, has it been effective enough to get away from using a cage?

Also, what different have you seen personally with the round, or square eliminator spin pan? Having a hard time seeing what the difference is, as far as spinning out feed?

Thanks
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 01:19 AM

I run a 6v and 12v not with eliminator, just plain Jane plate, I know that's not what you asked but I will offer my thoughts. 12v feeder has cage, 6v does not. I have both set on lowest spin speed because they both spread out plenty far on low setting. My 12v spins out around 10-12 foot radius from feeder through cage, around. A 22-24 foot diameter, plenty big. My 6v spins around same size without the cage.

If you are worried about the 12v spinning through a cage, don't. It will. And it will easily get out plenty
Of distance if you have a motor with multiple speeds, I think most motors have that functionality.

An eliminator without cage should give entry of distance...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 03:11 AM

I have 4 corn feeders with Eliminator 12volt Spinners on them, with no varmint cages. Round type spinner plates and I really like them. My feed pens are round with 10 hog panels and I see some corn outside the pens. Most stays inside the pen due to the legs on my feeders being only 5' tall.

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 08:24 AM

thanks guy's, I am getting tired of the cage, seems it is always in the way, but it has kept the vermin off the timer.

I don't have a pen around my feeder, no livestock, just want to get more feed out away ,rather than flooding right below the barrel.

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 08:52 AM

What Brand Timer with solar panel do you recommend? 6v is easy choice on a Sunslinger, but 12v is a whole new "thang".
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 09:22 AM

"The Timer" is all I'll ever use until I'm convinced otherwise. Easy to program and very reliable.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 10:33 AM

X2 on The Timer. It runs off the main battery and doesn't require a AA battery like others we have used.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 01:46 PM

Yes, the Eliminator "eliminates" the need for a cage. They work well, and keep the coons from playing Jungle Gym on your feeder at night.

I build feeders with both but I personally prefer the rectangular version. The reason is that, should the eliminator ever fail in the down position, the side walls of the rectangular version act like a normal spin plate and keep you from losing as much corn. And, they are more forgiving if you don't center the timer unit over the down spout just perfectly. grin

"The Timer" is a rock-solid option, you will not be disappointed.

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 04:49 PM

TxAg, I was looking at your site this morning before I went to bed, one dumb question, does the 12v battery also fit inside of the motor box, or do I need to make some kind of concession where to put it?

Thanks
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 05:58 PM

Not dumb at all.

Yes, the 12V battery tucks nicely into the motor box. Some boxes (mine included) also come with a bracket to keep "the timer" facing front for convenience.

Get one with a solar panel mounted to the box already and there will be no exposed wires for the coons to jack with.

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 06:18 PM

Thanks for the reply.
The only exposure to 12v systems I have had was in early 2002, those guys on the lease had sure enough car/boat batteries which seemed to be a huge PITA at the time. I see yours are about $2 cheaper than the other Texas place, less shipping, dont think I will have time to run one down here in the DFW metro mess.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 06:35 PM

We have the round plate on the Eliminator and agree you will not need the cage. We also use The Timer and the other is HCR which works the same and just as well. 12 volt does seem to throw corn 12 to 15 feet away from feeder.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 08:32 PM

The Timer is the way to go Dennis. up

Re: Thinking about building myself another spin feeder, Question.. - 09/03/15 09:24 PM

Yeah "the timer" sounds good and has great reviews all over the net, thinking I will order from TXAg tomorrow up

Thanks fellas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum