Texas Hunting Forum

Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door

Posted By: GPS

Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 01:41 AM

Looking for some ideas on how to finish the windows and the door. I'm thinking of making the entire back section a door. It will be huge.

Posted By: titan2232

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 10:12 AM

I'd def put a roof on er up
Posted By: rickym

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 11:27 AM

A door that large will catch wind easier when your opening and closing it. Unless you use real good hinges the extra weight may make them creak more

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 11:33 AM

I can't believe I forgot to add a roof!! hammer

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: rickym
A door that large will catch wind easier when your opening and closing it. Unless you use real good hinges the extra weight may make them creak more

Good point. smaller door it is!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 11:40 AM

And seal all those joints!
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 08:27 PM

What ya goin to do on tha outside, paint, metal panels? The OSB does not last. Should of used exterior plywood or that cement board.
I used OSB once didn't even last a year.

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/02/15 11:31 PM

I'll paint it. I have a blind that I built 7 years ago and it still has all its original OSB.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/03/15 02:51 AM

20 gallons of paint should provide decent life to OSB. Good luck up
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/03/15 03:03 AM

x2

Windows can be as easy or as hard as you want.

One simple way to build them is to build a window sill with a ledge on the inside to keep the water out. Build a wood frame to fit on the outside of the blind and install glass or plexiglass. Drill a hole above the window and install a grommet. Tie a string to the front of the window and run it through the grommet, then tie a washer to the end of the string inside the blind. Install a screw on the inside of the blind to slip the washer over when the window is open.

When you sit down, you can pull the washer from the inside of the blind to open the window and slip the washer over the screw to hold the window open.

I have also just used a rail system and plexiglass to make sliding windows. I don't like them as much because half the window is always closed.

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/03/15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

x2

Windows can be as easy or as hard as you want.

One simple way to build them is to build a window sill with a ledge on the inside to keep the water out. Build a wood frame to fit on the outside of the blind and install glass or plexiglass. Drill a hole above the window and install a grommet. Tie a string to the front of the window and run it through the grommet, then tie a washer to the end of the string inside the blind. Install a screw on the inside of the blind to slip the washer over when the window is open.

When you sit down, you can pull the washer from the inside of the blind to open the window and slip the washer over the screw to hold the window open.

I have also just used a rail system and plexiglass to make sliding windows. I don't like them as much because half the window is always closed.

Thanks!

Re: Thoughts on how to finish the windows and the door - 09/03/15 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
20 gallons of paint should provide decent life to OSB. Good luck up

Again, I have never had an issue with OSB. This will be the 3rd blind I have built with OSB, the other 2 are 7 & 5 years old, all with original materials and all in good shape.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum