Texas Hunting Forum

T Post Protein Feeder

Posted By: GHale

T Post Protein Feeder - 06/04/15 03:38 PM

Has anyone tried one of these TPost mounted feeders? I saw this one at Bass Pro yesterday @ $99.00.
Posted By: 7m STW

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/04/15 06:54 PM

Probably would work ok but it would be emptied in a day probably.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/04/15 07:25 PM

Not enough capacity to do much good in my opinion. You can get a 350lb protein feeder for $250. That's nearly 5X the capacity for only 2.5X the cost.

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/04/15 07:27 PM

I just read where they hold 80lbs. That guy said they last about 2 weeks at his place. Here is a review from Bass Pro customer:

Love these Feeders!,

March 4, 2014

By TXCM13 from Texas(read all my reviews)(read all my reviews)

Advantages: easy to fill, deer take to them right away, easy to set up, works for protein or corn, no raccoon problems

" Have several of these feeders on our ranch, and LOVE them! They are perfect for feeding free choice protein pellets, without having to buy big expensive protein feeders. On top of that, you can easily move them, they're sturdy, and easy to set up & fill with feed. We haven't had a single coon get into these feeders, and the little buggers are really bad in our area. I have a friend who placed one too close to a tree, and the coons were able to jump onto the feeder; but once he moved his, no more issues! The coons did try to climb the t-posts to ours at first, but never made it all the way up to the feeder...Think they're too fat to balance on the post, lol! Money well spent!! "
Posted By: TxAg

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/04/15 08:59 PM

Holds 80lb of corn. Protein is less dense so it would probably hold ~72 lb of protein.

I suppose it's all relative to how much your deer eat and how often you want to refill. Deer at my place average about 100lb per week per feeder. If you're able to refill multiple times a week then I guess they could work ok. But, with this design only 1 deer can feed at a time so consumption is probably less.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/05/15 02:11 AM

It is a nice feeder but to small IMO. If you have 10-15 visiting your corn feeder daily. Once they all start to eat protein, they can empty it in 2-3 days if conditions get bad. Fewer deer it will last longer. Deer eat about 3.5% of their body weight per day in forage/food of some kind. I would put out of 3 of those if it were me, but by the time you buy three of them you will have spent more than what a 250-300# feeder will cost you. I have seen feeders on ranches that would have 80-100# of feed eaten per day out if them.

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/05/15 01:05 PM

I was really thinking about possibly using one this summer for protein in addition to the other protein feeders that I have but primarily to put in an area where I could use corn this next hunting season that might be more remote than my primary feeders. Hoping to catch the big one in a more secluded area!!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: T Post Protein Feeder - 06/06/15 01:14 AM

Appears to me these might be easier and safer to fill, and by putting 4-5 out in different locations, you could monitor which ones might be getting the most action allowing you to better determine where to set up your blind. I am only ten minutes from where I hunt so whether I went 1,2,3 times a week/month would not be a major issue. JMO
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum