Texas Hunting Forum

Wiring a solar panel to the feeder

Posted By: 7mag

Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/23/15 12:09 AM

I have never used a solar panel so this is all new to me. How are yall running the wires to the feeder box? I have about 3 feet of wire and not quite sure what is best. I thought about placing the panel on the side of the barrel then running it down and to the motor.

Ross our head lease guy has his directly mounted to the back of his feeder box. Not saying its wrong and his works fine is this the best way to run it or?
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/23/15 12:20 AM

Best to put wires in some type of conduit or flex to protect. Guys on my lease has had them chewed up by squirrels, coons, birds etc. check out auto supply places.
Can't help on anything else.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/23/15 03:21 PM

Mount it to the south side of the feeder box and put a critter cage around it.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/23/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Mount it to the south side of the feeder box and put a critter cage around it.

This
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/23/15 07:16 PM

X3
Posted By: Hair 'o dog

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/24/15 03:17 AM

And protect the wires from vermin and damaging sunlight. Garden hose, conduit, pipe, etc.
Posted By: bholt

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/24/15 10:08 PM

you have been given some good advice here. Depending on your Feeder control unit (FCU) box size I would recommend mounting flush with the box so that there no exposed wires whatsoever. I have built feeders for some time and never had any customer complaints in mounting them in this manner. A picture of them is on my website and facebook you would like to look at it. If you have any questions feel free to call.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/bholt0/Mobile%20Uploads/2009-07/Flushmount1_zps5okfx4xm.jpg
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Wiring a solar panel to the feeder - 03/25/15 12:28 AM

Have gone to mounting the panels like in Bholts picture. Just be sure to face the panel South. No issues with critters getting to the wires that way
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum