Texas Hunting Forum

Best blind window height

Posted By: jetdad

Best blind window height - 12/26/14 09:10 PM

I'm getting 24x12 Deerview windows for my blind build and would appreciate your input on the best lower window ledge height. I don't want it just for me, I could figure that out, but a good average height. Thanks.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Best blind window height - 12/26/14 10:03 PM

This what I did. Had wife set in chair, had her hold a rifle on set of shooting sticks, measured to the rest of forearm. The I did the same. She is 5-6 and I'm 6-0. With a proper office chair where the height can be adjusted, this worked for me.
If you are going to have a ledge in front of the window you could use a bean bag to adjust the height for the right position. Just don't get the upper part of the window to low so that you have to scrunch down to see out.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Best blind window height - 12/26/14 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Harley7892
This what I did. Had wife set in chair, had her hold a rifle on set of shooting sticks, measured to the rest of forearm. The I did the same. She is 5-6 and I'm 6-0. With a proper office chair where the height can be adjusted, this worked for me.
If you are going to have a ledge in front of the window you could use a bean bag to adjust the height for the right position. Just don't get the upper part of the window to low so that you have to scrunch down to see out.

Harley nailed it, I like to us adjustable chair also because I have multiple feed pens at different angles of impact. I like to be able to adjust quickly and with the pull of a lever
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Best blind window height - 12/26/14 10:18 PM

Every one I've built I've put them at 36". Seems to be a good height, works well with the adjustable chair the other guys are talking about.

Re: Best blind window height - 12/26/14 11:02 PM

Thanks. I really hadn't put any thought into an adjustable chair. I appreciate your experience and knowledge.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best blind window height - 12/27/14 02:39 AM

Also take into to consideration the elevation of the blind. If you are shooting downhill, level or uphill a bit. That will effect the height of your window a bit also. I use an adjustable chair in all my blinds and window bottom is 42" for me.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Best blind window height - 12/27/14 03:49 PM

What stxranchman said about up, down and level. I have one that is 36" and one that is 42" But, even with adjustable chairs, my grandson has difficulty shooting out of the 42" and I have difficulty shooting out of the 36" I'm thinking 38-40" might be a good compromise for most folks.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best blind window height - 12/27/14 04:20 PM

My box blind has high windows, so I use a drafting stool to compensate. I like that I can stand and stretch a d still see out the windows. My two man blind has windows at 38" so we use regular office chairs there.
Posted By: BearkatHunter2011

Re: Best blind window height - 12/27/14 05:29 PM

X 2 on 36". All depends on the person and the chair height.

Re: Best blind window height - 12/27/14 06:00 PM

Aside from me, my son will be shooting from it the most. He's 10 and I know I'll need to allow for growth but need to consider his size now too. Also, I'm going to elevate it six feet. I don't need a tall tower and don't like the sway in the wind I've experienced in taller blinds. I may build a small frame and see which height functions the best for him. I can improvise easier and I don't want him to be the one to adjust. I really do appreciate the input.
Posted By: Riddler72

Re: Best blind window height - 12/31/14 12:12 AM

40"
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Best blind window height - 12/31/14 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Riddler72
40"

Listen to this man! He builds a mean blind.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Best blind window height - 01/01/15 05:19 PM

Built six 4x6 blinds. Window cut on all at 40" with a shelf 1" below window. Use small sand bags to anchor in. Have Executive high back chairs with rollers which have hight adjustable pedal. Floor cover is indoor/outdoor carpet.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Best blind window height - 01/01/15 11:42 PM

I do 40" with adjustable chairs.
We have a 20ft tower blind that has 44" high windows, that is way too high for shooting at a down angle. We had to put a platform under the chairs just to see out.
We had some ranch helpers build a blind (we told them to just make them like the others), well... they put the window openings at 5ft high. They thought standing up to shoot was better. Although that would work, all you could see while sitting down was the blind wall. Helpers weren't too bright.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum