Texas Hunting Forum

Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders

Posted By: dshafranek

Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/11/14 03:06 PM

What is your guys opinions on gravity feeders vs timer feeders? I'll have these feeders out year around with protein in the spring and summer and corn in the fall & winter. I'll also be hunting over them from time to time.

Thanks
Posted By: B-Man

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/11/14 06:19 PM

I like going timed, I'm hoping it will eliminate nocturnal activity.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/11/14 09:11 PM

Timed feeders will help coordinate your time in the blind with the time the deer feed.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/12/14 04:34 AM

Now we only use timer feeders, when we had feed barrels, we would go through way more corn than we do now.
Posted By: dshafranek

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/12/14 04:21 PM

I've been using Timed feeders too but my deer are still nocturnal and I can't get them to switch to daylight feeding unless I dump corn on the ground and then everything will come in in the daylight. Any ideas on how to get these deer to come into the timed feeders in the daylight?
Posted By: vampyro

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/14/14 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: dshafranek
I've been using Timed feeders too but my deer are still nocturnal and I can't get them to switch to daylight feeding unless I dump corn on the ground and then everything will come in in the daylight. Any ideas on how to get these deer to come into the timed feeders in the daylight?

Use a timed feeder set it for sun rise and sunset. Once they start hitting them, gradually adjust the time. Ideally you want it so your feeding 45 mins or so before sunset. A trail camera will give you a better idea of what to do since you will be able to see when they are feeding.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/15/14 02:07 AM

I have 3 free choice protein feeders that go year round on the ranch. Each feeder averages 20lbs of feed per day. I don't see where a spin feeder could put out enough feed to help.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/16/14 08:34 PM

I use spin. I think you can get deer into the habit of feeding at daylight and just before sunset. With free choice, they will feed mostly at night.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/20/14 05:09 PM

Free choice feeders year round. Deer eat when they need to not when I want them to. Spin feeder feeding August till Feb. Road feeder daily to hunt and shoot deer off of corn. I try to never shoot a deer in a my feed pens. Deer feed at night due to temperatures and where they live at. If they do not live on your ranch then they will have to travel to get to the feeder. You can not change when they feed unless they are needing extra feed due to poor habitat.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 12/24/14 07:26 AM

get a timed trough protein feeder, you can set them to put out as little or as much feed as you want, It is a good option, I think you kinda get the best of both types of feeders.
Posted By: jgc

Re: Gravity Feeders vs Timed feeders - 01/05/15 09:56 PM

It is probably understood by most (but since I was an exception to that until recently), I just wanted to clarify. The timer on a spin feeder determines both time and amount, but I think the OP was referring to timed free choice-which only limits time, allowing unlimited feeding during the scheduled open hours (24/7 or any amount less than that).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum