Texas Hunting Forum

Deer blind material

Posted By: Justin T

Deer blind material - 02/17/11 03:56 PM

Going to take the plywood off my frame and put up new siding. What is your favorite material to use?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer blind material - 02/17/11 08:53 PM

How high is the blind off of the ground Justin? I like Hardieboard siding on blinds. No rotting, no woodpeckers holes, paint it you want or not but it is heavy, not as easy to work with as plywood and you will need help to put it on.

Re: Deer blind material - 02/17/11 09:27 PM

Bottom of the box is 10 feet high. I was thinking fiberglass, but I'm unsure.

Re: Deer blind material - 02/17/11 09:52 PM

You would need help and some kind of scaffolding then I would think for Hardieboard or turn the blind over and put the board on it and stand it back up. Fiberglass does make a good blind when the walls are thick enough. It is not as rigid as Hardieboard is unless the panels are thick but much easier to work with. Not sure how it will stand up to sun and weather over time unless you keep it painted. Seems like it would be higher maintanence than Hardieboard but I have only had one fiberglass blind and it was for one season.

Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Deer blind material - 02/17/11 10:22 PM

R panel,you can get it in any color even pink if thats what you want. any way you will never have to replace it.

Re: Deer blind material - 02/17/11 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
You would need help and some kind of scaffolding then I would think for Hardieboard or turn the blind over and put the board on it and stand it back up. Fiberglass does make a good blind when the walls are thick enough. It is not as rigid as Hardieboard is unless the panels are thick but much easier to work with. Not sure how it will stand up to sun and weather over time unless you keep it painted. Seems like it would be higher maintanence than Hardieboard but I have only had one fiberglass blind and it was for one season.

It is 1 x 1 square tubing. Expanding a blind from 4x4 to 4x8 this year. The plywood on it only made it about 5 years. I will look into hardiboard.

Posted By: crease_flounder

Re: Deer blind material - 02/17/11 11:37 PM

Hardipanel works great against the elements, but is somewhat easy to put a hole through or crack with impact if there's no firm sheathing behind it or if your studs are far apart. It can also be a bit heavy, since it's made out of concrete. I found this stuff called Ondura at Lowes that I'm going to try the next time I re-side a blind (http://ondura.com/). It's composite, comes in brown, and looks like it would be pretty durable (it's roofing). I'm not sure if it will warp in the heat or not, though. Not your ordinary blind material, but maybe a good one.

Re: Deer blind material - 02/18/11 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

It is 1 x 1 square tubing. Expanding a blind from 4x4 to 4x8 this year. The plywood on it only made it about 5 years. I will look into hardiboard.

Blinds we have are 1x1 tubing and it does well with the hardieboard. Been on them for 6 years now and now problems at all. It was put on after the plywood rotted out and they were all standing up. Some up to 15 ft to the floor. Painted on the ground and then put up. I have built a blind by myself that was 6' to the floor and put the hardieboard on it. Just have to work slow and think ahead a bit.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Deer blind material - 02/18/11 04:41 AM

I'de go with 7/16 hardboard, stucco will give you a better looking paint job.

Posted By: camartin

Re: Deer blind material - 02/18/11 01:08 PM

I do all my blinds with Hardie. Insulate if you can, even if it is with the foam sheets that they sell at Lowe's. Hardie, due to its density transfers noise more than plywood and retains heat poorly. I would paint it. It will turn white (white-ish anyway) in the sun and bcome even more brittle.

Posted By: TxGameHunter

Re: Deer blind material - 02/18/11 04:01 PM

I used 26 gauge steel sheet. Primered with Rustoleum and then painted with Rustoleum tinted to the color I wanted. On the inside was a 1" x 1" steel tubing frame. I took 1" insulation board with foil backing on one side and wrapped it in brown felt from the fabric store. Then I glued those to the walls. It was about $30 for a 4'x8'sheet of steel.

Posted By: gfarley

Re: Deer blind material - 02/24/11 09:14 PM

The ondura works well, but really needs insulation. I used 1" foam board with panelling on the inside. Works great, tho I had to add some bolts to sandwhich it all together.

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Deer blind material - 02/26/11 04:26 PM

Has anyone tried the LP product called SmartSide -it is a variation of an OSB panel, but made for exterior applications. A contractor friend of mine loves it and said it would make perfect blind material.

Posted By: Drjfiremedic

Re: Deer blind material - 08/19/12 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TxGameHunter
I used 26 gauge steel sheet. Primered with Rustoleum and then painted with Rustoleum tinted to the color I wanted. On the inside was a 1" x 1" steel tubing frame. I took 1" insulation board with foil backing on one side and wrapped it in brown felt from the fabric store. Then I glued those to the walls. It was about $30 for a 4'x8'sheet of steel.

TxGameHunter - I have been trying to find these sheets of steel for my deer blind that I am building. 1x1" square tubing frame.

Where do you get your 4x8 steel sheets?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Deer blind material - 08/19/12 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: gljshh
Has anyone tried the LP product called SmartSide -it is a variation of an OSB panel, but made for exterior applications. A contractor friend of mine loves it and said it would make perfect blind material.

it will, but you need to seal it so it doesn't swell. (As simple as always making sure it's painted)

Posted By: hunter1313

Re: Deer blind material - 08/20/12 05:36 PM

I used some 1/8" poly product that I got from work and it works well. It is lighter than anything else I could find and is totaly waterproof.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum