Texas Hunting Forum

Tracking apps

Posted By: Mike Mathena

Tracking apps - 03/13/18 12:19 AM

What's a good app for keeping track of
paths/trails and waypoints made in the woods? We have some service where we're at.
We are starting to clear some trails to certain spots in this pine stand were leasing, we are finding more and more nice small, open areas to hunt than I'm going to be able to remember. I've been using Google maps, satellite image, it does a decent job showing our location on the property getting to spots, but it didn't mark the path we took/cleared on the map.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Tracking apps - 03/15/18 02:28 AM

Gaia is a good cost effective one
Posted By: GLC

Re: Tracking apps - 03/20/18 01:48 PM

Huntstand.com

Re: Tracking apps - 03/20/18 06:43 PM

I got the huntstand, used it over the weekend, it was fine till i lost service.

Re: Tracking apps - 03/20/18 06:45 PM

I got the huntstand, used it over the weekend, it was fine till i lost service.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Tracking apps - 03/20/18 08:53 PM

Does it have an offline mode where it can store your maps so you don't need service? I don't use Huntstand but I thought it could operate like that.
I use Alpine Quest on my phone. It is a hiking app so doesn't have specific hunting features like Huntstand but you can do way-points, trails, measuring, etc. I created an offline map from Google earth and store it on my phone since I have no data service where I hunt. Alpine Quest can operate solely off the GPS satellites and the offline map.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Tracking apps - 03/21/18 04:59 PM

Gaia
Posted By: TXRobTRX

Re: Tracking apps - 04/03/18 03:58 AM

I use google maps too, but I use the "old" one that installs on my computer.

I use a simple Garmen GPS and ran my trails, which mapped them. I also entered waypoints to mark blinds, bridges, etc.

Once I got home, its simple to download the file and import into google maps. I am sure you can do it with the online one also, but dont know how.

Its worked great for us.

Re: Tracking apps - 04/18/18 10:48 AM

I've got Huntstand, onX hunt and scout look on my phone, opened all 3 on the last trip and like the onX hunt the best. The satellite imaging is not as clear as the others but, i like the interface better. It has the offline mode but I didn't need it, it tracked fine and was pretty accurate with my location moving around the property, which is good because i have got a camera on a buck rub trail that i cannot seem to walk straight to, it's in a pretty thick, bushy area.
I still keep Google maps running and put my way points in it also.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum