Texas Hunting Forum

Wireless Game Cameras

Posted By: PROLINE19

Wireless Game Cameras - 08/29/17 07:23 PM

does anyone know how well these cameras work in the Aspermont/Sagerton/Hamlin are of Texas? would love to try this technology out, but don't want to waste money if coverage of cellular service is so poor the communication will not work. thx for any replies.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Wireless Game Cameras - 08/29/17 10:14 PM

Does your cell phone work well in the area?
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Wireless Game Cameras - 08/29/17 10:15 PM

I don't have one of the cameras but I am fortunate to have a cell tower almost right across the hwy from my place south of Aspermont. I have Verizon and get 4G LTE service.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Wireless Game Cameras - 08/29/17 11:22 PM

I'm have att and my camera gets a better signal than my cell phone does. If you have good cell service you are prob good to go.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Wireless Game Cameras - 08/30/17 04:09 AM

Another option is buying a cellular booster antennae, they can hook right into the camera and you can be good to go. I have a weak signal area on my property that I wanted to place a cell cam, at first it didn't have any signal and my phone was really spotty back there. Bought an antennae for truckers and connected it, went from zero bars service on cam to 3 bars and great service. The one I bought was 50 bucks, made the camera useable and was well worth the money. Wilson/weboost. It was service specific so make sure you get the corrrct one for your service provider, but super easy to install and use (unscrew original antennae and screw in new one, it really was that simple).
Posted By: PROLINE19

Re: Wireless Game Cameras - 08/30/17 02:48 PM

Thx for the info. I do get good att service. any particular cameras better than others?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Wireless Game Cameras - 08/30/17 03:30 PM

I think almost all the cameras these days access the pics through an app, if you have good ATT signal then you should be good to go with covert or spypoint. I have a couple coverts and a spypoint link, their newest model. The spypoint was the easiest to set up and use, but also the one with weakest antennae so I had to get the booster antennae for it. But it has been working like a champ and was super easy to set up to a solar panel and 12V battery with any regular cell cam batter adapter cord.

Covert was a little more work to set up and get working, has a batter adapter cord specific to it that goes from 12V to 6V and I have had three go bad (2 didn't work straight out of the bag) and I haven't been able to get them to accept a solar charger well either. But they do take good pics and they send to my phone via text, so that's cool, but they are 2014 and 2015 models.

All of them run batteries quickly. So I would highly recommend setting them up with external batteries.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum