Texas Hunting Forum

Gun Stand for the range or hunting camp

Posted By: mikei

Gun Stand for the range or hunting camp - 08/23/17 03:11 PM

When I go to the range or am in a hunting camp, the issue of what to do with the rifles/shotguns between uses is a bit problematic. Leaning them against a vehicle, shooting bench or tree is not a good option at all, so I decided to cobble up a solution. It is small, lightweight, portable, and provides me and other shooters with a secure place to set their guns. This one will hold 5 long guns. I also cut holes for cleaning rods and made a small tray for miscellaneous cleaning gear. And, it just so happens that the dimensions are such that a small cooler will fit in the folded unit!

Posted By: doubleH

Re: Gun Stand for the range or hunting camp - 08/23/17 03:18 PM

looks great...just an idea..add some wheel and handle so you can pull it around..

Re: Gun Stand for the range or hunting camp - 08/23/17 04:27 PM

doubleH, I have considered a few different options, including your suggestions. My goal was to make the stand as light as possible, and to make it so that it would take up as little room as possible. It seems I always wind up dragging a lot more "stuff" with me whenever I go gunning! Wheels would add width to the package, and a handle would add length, and both modifications would add weigth. Since I rarely have a long "commute" from my vehicle to where I'm going to need the gun stand, thus far, the addition of a handle and wheels is not in my plans, but certainly could be added without too much trouble.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Gun Stand for the range or hunting camp - 08/23/17 05:25 PM

Pretty slick idea.....quick, and easy..... cheers

Re: Gun Stand for the range or hunting camp - 08/23/17 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Pretty slick idea.....quick, and easy..... cheers

Yep, and it's all good old 1 X 4 #2 pine from the lumber yard! Plus 4 stainless, 3 inch hinges and a hook and eye kit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum